Water Leakage in Garden

marhurd

Have paving in a small patio garden and recently noticed water trickling in the soil in the planting area. Is this a job for a plumber or drain company anyone know?

Do you mean there is water rising from the ground? Do you know where the water main enters the property, and if it runs close to this point?

Yes water is rising up from the ground, unfortunately dont know where the water main runs under the ground, I suspect it is a leak in the water main. Contacted Irish Water as I understood they fix the first leak, but they informed me that they are now in 'transience' and will not do it. Not sure which direction to take next. Garden is paved. Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Turn the mains off first and see if it stops leaking, if it doesn't it could be a spring

If you have a water meter just open the top and turn the water off. If that stops it then it's between your meter and the house. A plumber will start this way and use the process of elimination. It may not be your water source but a neighbors.

Thanks everyone, I eventually got a company that specializes in sourcing leaks and they found a mains water leak under the patio. Delighted to have problem sorted though it cost over €900!

Good result Marhurd. Water waste issues aside, a leak of that significance could have resulted in structural issues down the line, so while a lot of money now, it may well have saved you a lot more.

Back