Water Damage from Shower

wigwam

Hi, just wondering if its worth making a claim under my house insurance policy. We noticed a large water stain on the ceiling in our sitting room which is directly underneath the shower upstairs. We think a load of water spilled on the tiles in the bathroom and leaked through at the join between the tiles and the laminate floor at the door to the bathroom. It was a one off event and not due to a leak from the shower tray.

Excess is €500 on the policy.

What would be typically covered under house insurance? Repainting the ceiling? Other?

Thanks

Your insurance probably covers such an event, but hardly worth claiming as it would result in increased premiums for the next few years, and some insurers not willing to quote if you have a recent claim, I would only claim for a substantial loss.

Anyway even getting a painter in to stain block the water mark and repaint the entire ceiling would not cost your excess of €500.

If you are anyway handy and able it is not a difficult job to do yourself. A tin of stain block and a tin of ceiling emulsion, probably less than €50.

Did you read your policy document? This will be where you find the definitive answer. Mine for example excludes such leaks.

As twofor1 says though, the remediation costs for a one-off spill such as this will likely be lower than your excess. Claiming might see you get nothing back and still end up pay significantly more for insurance over the next few years.

Back