Water Butt

Henny Penny

In an effort to conserve water, and still keep my garden alive I am thinking of getting a water butt. I would like to hear tips or advice from anyone who has installed one ... where do you buy it, how to install it etc.
Thanks

Saw one recently that was homemade but was effective and cheap to make. It consisted of a 40 gallon blue plastic barrel mounted on breeze blocks (it was about 3 feet off the ground). The barrel had a wooden cover with a hole in it to accept the downspout and there was chicken wire over the hole to keep out leaves etc. It had a tap low down with a 20' hose attached and it is used for watering flowers, I'd say you would get the same flow out of it as a watering can.It is very important to make sure that it is covered if you have children around because if a young one goes in to it head first they can't get out.

You could also make one from an old attic cistern tank ( probably pick one up in a scrapyard for peanuts) mount it say about 4 feet off the ground on a 2x4/6 framework and stick a tap on it.

I know a lad who is going to use a new 1000L plastic oil tank as a rainwater collection system for his house and use that to water for the garden ,washing the car etc so that is another idea.
Good luck.

Thanks a million Fingalian for the reply. All good ideas. I don't suppose I should I be worried about too much rain filling it up too quickly ... ??? Will have a bit of convincing to do with Mr. HP ... he is of the opinion that water is free and we have lots of it. Maybe if I could get him to turn off the tap once in a while, might be a start. Any idea when the council will start to charge water rates to domestic customers?

Re: water rates/ when will local authorities start charging for water

Henny Penny
Every new house/ apartment or commercial building being built now must have a water meter fitted (this has been the case for a few years). It's only a matter of time before water rates come in, the EU will insist on it. Dick Roche and FF will deny that there's any chance of rates coming in but they'll be taking their cues from the EU. You can be pretty sure rates won't be introduced before the next general election, after that it's anyone's guess. But I plan to get one of those blue barrels when that time does come.........

Back