Water Butt - best value

wishbone

Hi there, in these days of trying to reduce/reuse etc, we've been thinking of getting a rain butt, I believe it's called, to collect rain water for use in the garden. Can anyone recommend a good value one please? I live in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, do the councils help out like they used to with the composters? Thanks!

Some councils are selling these at a discount to the retail price - maybe SDCC or some neighbouring council are?

I got my composter from DLR Co Co two years ago and at that time they had not water butts. I don't think this has changed, have a browse of http://www.dlrcoco.ie/

Homebase, etc, had butts, I think they are a bit pricier than a composter as there's piping and a base involved.

Do you have a gutter downpipe to connect such a butt to? I live in a terraced house and have no such downpipe and hence have no access to roof-top rainwater.

In these days of reuse, couldn't you really use just about anything. A 200L barrel would be just the job. If its just for the garden, you don't need to have a tap at the bottom, you can just take the water out with a bucket. you just need to make sure the overflow goes back into your surface water drain. After all, there ain't nothing special about a water butt, except for the tap at the bottom, which isn't essential.

In these days of reuse, couldn't you really use just about anything.

This is very true. The home-made compost bins look far nicer and less regimented than the plastic tardis-style.

Having said that, fashion tends to go for the regimented look, eg Nike, Ikea, the traditional Irish housing estate, etc.

I got my composter from DLR Co Co two years ago and at that time they had not water butts. I don't think this has changed, have a browse of http://www.dlrcoco.ie/
Dublin City Council were definitely supplying them in 2007. Unless you want it delivered they don't normally ask you for proof of residency in their LA area.

Very good - 40e is a very good price especially when complete with attachment accessories. I was in touch with DLRCOCO and they said that Dublin City should provide them to me too as indirectly we are all customers of theirs. Thanks everyone for input.

Back