Washing machine problems.

G

garryks

It's about 4 years old and used a few times a week. We always close the door to stop little hands getting in there. But the damp smell is very stong and similar to the mildew type smell you get on walls etc.

Any tips on how to treat this??

Thanks!

Re: washing machine has damp-mildew smell, any way to get ri

I had a top loader when the kids were small due to space shortage in the kitchen so did not have this problem with small
hands :) Have a front loader now and always leave the door open because I've noticed the same smell if we close it.

Just wondering if you were to use a capful of one of the clothes bleaches on just a spin setting occasionally would it help get rid of the problem? Don't put any clothes in and let it just spin with the special clothes bleach and water.

We occasionally had a problem with one of our machines where small bits of tissue like substance appeared in the wash (and no I had not left any tissues in pockets). One of the repair guys told me its good for the machine to sometimes put it on the hottest setting and don't put any clothes in and just let it run on a full wash.

Smelly dryer

I have a combined washer dryer and for the first minute or so when we turn on the dryer it really stinks of rotten food or something. I suspect some clothes were washed with food on them and its now sitting in the pipes somewhere rotting. The smell goes away after a minute though. Any ideas? I shoudl ring manufacturer I suppose....

smell from washer

What happens is that a small residue of water is left behind all the time and if you only ever wash on a low-temp wash (as most people tend to), bacteria grows in the residue. Hotpoints are particularly bad for this. Simple solution is to put in a cup of ordinary bleach straight into the drum; put the machine on it's hottest, longest wash (empty that is) and that will solve the problem. Best of luck.

washer

Have you got a filter on your machine. If so open up the little door (when not on) and unscrew plug and if you have never cleaned it - there will be your problem.

Re: washer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the hot wash, 95degrees with a cup of Milton Sterilising bleach. It helped a bit but I don't think it was strong enough. I'll try again with some normal bleach.

I also thought that maybe using a bio powder might eat/destroy the bacteria/mould in the machine. I've always used no-bio so not sure if its worth a try. Any comments?

BTW it is a hotpoint.

Thanks again!

We had a thread a long time ago here about bio and non-bio washing powder but unfortunately it has long gone. As far as I can recall most people opted for the non-bio because it causes less irritation/skin complaints.

I switched a while ago and almost immediately it caused problems and I duly had to revert back. I notice that you mention 'little hands' and you might well find that the children's skin is even more sensitive than adults.

It might take another wash or so to get rid of the smell or have you tried cleaning the filter as affected mentions?

P.S. I see this problem is explained here The washing machine smells

Check where the waste hose is connected to the waste pipe.

Then describe what you see.

washing machine repair in Dublin

Can anyone recommend a good washing machine repairer (Dublin city centre, so I guess anyone in Dublin would do it)? My washing machine's on the blink, and it's not something simple I can fix myself. A personal recommendation would be nice - I really don't want to be ripped off.

I have not used these people myself for a washing machine repair but have bought parts from them and they were very helpful:

www.mastercare.ie/

For spare parts these guys are also very good:

Spare Parts Centre, 9, North Frederick St., Dublin 1
Phone 8726565/8746141 Fax: 8746860.

Have used a guy called I think Paul Harding maybe Dublin 14 or 16 in the telephone book. He does not appear to be in the Golden Pages but if you cannot find him in the tel book tomorrow post back and I will look up a mobile no. that I have somewhere for him.

These web sites might be worth a read in the meantime:

www.washerhelp.co.uk/
www.wm1.com/
[broken link removed]

I have used both of these

Kenilworth Electrical
253 Harolds X rd, 6W
(01) 4968036

And

Dundrum Service Centre
8 Olive Mount Tce, (Windy Arbour) Dundrum, 14
(01) 2695505

and could recommend either.
P

thanks

Thanks sueellen & penang!
I don't see any Paul Harding (or Paul Harden) in D14/16 in the phone book online but thanks for the links. Unfortunately, I think my problem may be an electrical fault with the door sensor which I don't feel equipped to tackle.

I'll try the Harold's X/Dundrum companies.

Thanks.

Odour from Washing Machine

I'm getting an awful smell from the Washing machine,I've checked it out to see if anything is caught in it, and cleaned out the filter, anybody got any ideas of how to get rid of it. Apart from the smell it's working perfectly!

Re: Odour from Washing Machine

Try putting half a cup of white vinegar inside an empty machine and put it on a boil wash. Because the first bit of water goes into the sump hose and is sealed off, I recommend that you wait until the washing machine has been filling for about 30 seconds and then pour the vinegar into the soap drawer to let it wash down into the machine.

Re: Odour from Washing Machine

Hi
I started the last thread and followed most of the advice.
There was no filter in our washer as it uses a pump that goes both ways to get around blockage problems.

What worked for me was to run the washing machine empty on a hot cycle with some bleach in the drum.
Run a rinse cycle when that finished also just to make sure all the bleach had gone.

When not in use leave the washer door open when possible to allow it to dry out, not always possible in busy a busy house but can help if you go away for any periods of time.

hope ths helps.

Washing Machine Parts

I have a whirlpool awm321 washing machine about 5 years old which is fairly sound and I reckon will go on for another 5 years, the problem is that the 'box' that has the water inlet and soap drawer has cracked at the inlet pipe. Whirlpool want to screw me for over €100 for a replacement part, so the question is, is there somewhere where I can get this part second hand - kind of a scrap yard for white goods?

H

Re: Washing Machine Parts

You can try Kenco parts up in the glasnevin ind estate, they have parts for most appliances and they are very helpful. the only downside they are very busy and so rarely answer the phone but it would be a worthwhile trip if in dublin. they are in the goldenpages.

Back