Was there really another bidder?

isn't their a website...according to the paper

rateyour auctioneer or something like that?...might be worth a look

I have seen mention of that site in AAM alright but as far as I know it's not very extensive and is pretty subjective. If I knew an EA was being unethical i'd definitely rather catch them out and try and report them to someone

I was wondering about investigating an EA recently too and didnt know how to go about it. There was a house for sale in an area ive been looking at for ages, i set an appointment but the EA never showed. When i rang he said he had tried to get in touch as the house was sale agreed before i made my appointment, at below the asking price. It was only on the market a week. The house is still listed for sale on their website so i rang a week later asking if the sale had fallen through but no, they said it was sale agreed. Two weeks later it is still listed as for sale on the website. Surely there is something not right there but who can investigate?

I'd put a personal note through the vendor's letter box stating my interest and giving a contact number.

I agree with liteweight-invariably you avoid a lot of hassle if if you deal directly with the vendor-a lot of the EA associated waffle is cut through when your'e in contact with someone who just wants to sell their house!

daithi

A heartwarming story about an Auctioneer. When we were bought our current house we didn't go to the auction cos the house was bigger and in worse condition than another one we were chasing on the same road - we didn't get the first one and this one didn't sell at auction. I rang the auctioneer the next day to put in a bid and he told me that they had another party interested - a neighbour. Each time we put in a bid he upped it by 1k but then the auctioneer rang and told us they didn't want to sell to the neighbour and if we met a set price they would sell to us which they did. Totally straight dealing - it was great.

Each time we put in a bid he upped it by 1k but then the auctioneer rang and told us they didn't want to sell to the neighbour and if we met a set price they would sell to us which they did. Totally straight dealing

You must certainly be joking there? Straight dealing? this is the most used trick to up the price when there is only one interested party to buy....

It would depend on the set price. Was it higher or lower than the previous bid ? I presume higher. By how much ?

Having just sold my house myself (thanks to advice from this site) I will never use or trust an EA again. Even if you get the house you want, you will never truly know whether you were lied to or not about that other bidder....

Plus dealing with the vendor directly we have had the smoothest sale ever, neither of our solicitors can come up with lame excuses for delays and with the buyer and ourselves keeping in contact by e-mail we have ensured everything is covered so that there is absolutely nothing outstanding before the closes next week, so minimal chances of it being delayed.

Like I said, I will NEVER use an EA to sell a house ever again, and if I was buying again I would be extremely wary of any EA and would be so much happier to deal directly with the Vendor. Anyway there is enough on this site about selling yourself so I better not go off the thread point sorry...

... The house is still listed for sale on their website so i rang a week later asking if the sale had fallen through but no, they said it was sale agreed. Two weeks later it is still listed as for sale on the website. Surely there is something not right there but who can investigate?

I would imagine this is due to them not updating their website often enough / the IT guy being on holiday / etc.

It really depends on how easy their website is to update.

Back