Was I ripped off by the guy on the digger?

if the guy did the job and your delighted with it and you agreed the price before he started.. then whats the problem ..job is done, money is paid, your happy, why should you care that tom, dick, and harry, down the road are saying you were ripped off,who else could you have got to do it...move on, put it behind you, and just be happy, he did not do a half ass job,and charge you 3 grand, and you then had to pay 3 more to get it fixed, quality comes at a price.

+1 that would be my angle on it too.

What type of Machine was it. I presume it was a track machine.

This could be important. I saw a sign on the Greenhills Road last week (Tallaght Dublin) advertising mini diggers for rent at something like 60 euro per day.

Its not a negative feeling comment at all. Your comment is making the assumption that the OP is encouraging tax evasion.

The OP did not state that he asked for an invoice, nor did he say one was not forthcoming. He merely said he receive a quote of x amount cash per day and was wondering if it was expensive

What do you think would have been the OP's motivation for explicitly mentioning that it was a cash price?

What do you think would have been the OP's motivation for explicitly mentioning that it was a cash price?

These dramas kind of get tiresome where thread contributors jump onto one word e.g in this case ''cash.'' AAM rightly does not condone tax evasion but it is also not a Court for judging people.
It can be normal to give a discount for cash when you need that liquidity into your business immediately. In the same way NTL give a discount to people who pay immediately via direct debit.
There are advantages to being paid in ''cash'' which are perfectly legal. I would prefer Cash in my hand to a Cheque or a promise or reduced by a credit card commission if my business was being hounded by unpaid bills and creditors, if business was not busy and I am worried about paying my salaries, bills and loans etc on time which in this economic climate is very likely. Especially in these dire times most businesses will be under intense scrutiny by the Revenue which is a very efficient arm of the state. In addition to the threat of a prison sentence, tax evaders when caught will be severely penalized with additional fines and compound interest so I wouldn't worry about this as when they are caught they will end up paying far more than the few Euro they thought they could get away with.

Why are you bothering bringing this up as an issue. If the OP paid cash, it is up to the workers to pay the tax on it.

This is not about the tax implications but rather if the OP paid a fair price.

Which I feel she did.

What have you got to say about that issue? Something useful?

......................and everything Bullworth said.

Especially in these dire times most businesses will be under intense scrutiny by the Revenue which is a very efficient arm of the state. In addition to the threat of a prison sentence, tax evaders when caught will be severely penalized with additional fines and compound interest so I wouldn't worry about this as when they are caught they will end up paying far more than the few Euro they thought they could get away with.

It's a nice theory, but I don't think it holds up in practice. I certainly come across fairly regular suggestions of varying levels of explicitness that links 'price for cash' with tax evasion as the main reason for the cash transaction. Even here on AAM we see fairly regular suggestions of under the table transactions. It hasn't gone away, you know.

It's a nice theory, but I don't think it holds up in practice. I certainly come across fairly regular suggestions of varying levels of explicitness that links 'price for cash' with tax evasion as the main reason for the cash transaction. Even here on AAM we see fairly regular suggestions of under the table transactions. It hasn't gone away, you know.

You should get some sort of Bat costume. You are wasted on the internet.

Back