Warning in Irish on Cigarette packs

There's already provision for that. The EU approved images for this purpose back in 2004 (you can see them here) and at the time, the Irish government said they'd be among the first to adopt them. From this autumn in the UK it will be obligatory to have one of 15 different images on cigarette boxes, and from autumn 2009 they will be required on other tobacco products. I think Belgium may already have them in place.

Thanks ,

As can be seen from the following examples the language does not matter if the picture has enough impact

_42538857_cig_candada.jpg

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Just FYI, I heard Irish being spoken among family members on the Luas green line yesterday.

There's already provision for that. The EU approved images for this purpose back in 2004 (you can see them here) and at the time, the Irish government said they'd be among the first to adopt them. From this autumn in the UK it will be obligatory to have one of 15 different images on cigarette boxes, and from autumn 2009 they will be required on other tobacco products. I think Belgium may already have them in place.

I have seen a picture on packets of Australian cigarettes 2 years ago which was far more graphic than on most of those in the pdf above.

Just FYI, I heard Irish being spoken among family members on the Luas green line yesterday.
Just FYI, I heard some traditional Irish music in a pub a three or four months ago.

As long as the warning in English does not diminish in size. Otherwise, if it does, that Irish language fanatic will cause countless extra deaths in years to come due to lung cancer. The warning in the language people can read / understand needs to stay at least the same.
An irish language fanatic, give me a break. Do you believe people are that stupid that they need to wait until they read the warning ona pack before they realise that this isn't a life enhancing product? I remember years ago a new brand came out ina black packet I'm nearly sure the brand was 'death' or 'poison' and they were snapped up by teenagers cause they were cool. Everyone knows the dangers, not everyone cares.

Just FYI, I heard some traditional Irish music in a pub a three or four months ago.

You seem to have quite a grudge against our language, even your last point 'you can bring a horse to water...' was anti Irish, but not anti math or english. Give children a choice and they prob won't even go to school, so a little shove in the right direction is needed.

I remember the notice on buses years ago "ná cath tabac" and used to enjoy mistranslating it as "don't throw tobacco". Not sure but it might have been a Myles na gCopaleenism that I read somewhere...

I saw a pub in Ireland advertising traditional Irish music once. Its a good few years since I left school ( as auld Mr. Brennan used to say ) , and I have been to every county in Ireland ( most of them on many occassions ) and I have never heard Irish spoken , or seen anyone buying or reading an Irish language newspaper or magazine. Even in the Gaeltacht everyone spoke English ...indeed in the petrol station + pub there it was said the Irish language thing was just to get Udaras grants , gaeltacht money etc. What a waste and pain it was having the language shoved down my throat in school all those years ago.

Well said Rabbit! I've heard it spoken (naturally) on two occasions ....... once about 20 years ago in Galway, the other time in Hungary(!) many years ago. This was brought about by a few female teachers from Dublin wanting to avoid the attention of a some local fellows - which they did with aplomb! By 'naturally' I mean spontaneous - not just a couple of Gaelgoirs showing off their prowess. The evolution of language, from monosyllabic grunts to todays rich tapestry is beautiful to behold. Lets keep it going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fadó fadó when in college, a classmate & I were working in Scandinavia for a while. On a bus we were commenting on how we were finding the new culture, language etc. A local, apparently eavesdropping, was having a sly laugh/grin at our conversation. We switched to our halting post-primary school Irish. The look of utter confusion on his face remains with me today. He saluted us as if to say, "ye caught me lads, fair play to ye". Have never spoken Irish in public since but would love to be able to manage a basic conversation. One of those things on my list of "things to do".

and I have been to every county in Ireland ( most of them on many occassions ) and I have never heard Irish spoken , or seen anyone buying or reading an Irish language newspaper or magazine. Even in the Gaeltacht everyone spoke English ...

Certainly not the case in the Gaeltacht I live in (Connemara).
Business in local shops, petrol stations, local traders etc - and 90% of the chat in the pub - is all conducted in Irish unless you're unable to speak it.
Our local supermarket employed a few Slovakian fellas a couple of years ago - and they were promptly booked in for Irish language classes.

Personally, I was happy to improve my very limited grasp of Gaelic language when I moved here - and the locals appreciate the effort!

Fadó fadó when in college, a classmate & I were working in Scandinavia for a while. On a bus we were commenting on how we were finding the new culture, language etc. A local, apparently eavesdropping, was having a sly laugh/grin at our conversation. We switched to our halting post-primary school Irish. The look of utter confusion on his face remains with me today. He saluted us as if to say, "ye caught me lads, fair play to ye". Have never spoken Irish in public since but would love to be able to manage a basic conversation. One of those things on my list of "things to do".

Can relate to that. Have sometimes resorted to my halting primary school Irish whilst on holiday abroad for similar reasons - especially satisfying when the eavesdroppers are English and end up utterly bewildered. I remember one woman, on hearing our linguistic switch over, muttering to her friend " nah it doesn't sound like any language - it must be some sort of code"

Impressive that she obviously had a working knowledge of every single language in the world then :rolleyes:

Dual language on cigarette boxes? Waste of public money. TnaG - treat it like Sky Sports. If you have an interest in it subscribe. Soon see how much of a demand there was.

Irish speakers who, while speaking english in an english spoken conversation amongst english only speakers, insist on throwing in a couple of Irish words. Extremely annoying.

Irish students given 10% extra for doing "French" etc through Irish - unbelievable.

Official Languages Act - bowing to the nutters and then giving them guaranteed employment translating the crap that no-one want to reads in Irish anyway.

Actually, while on a rant, I find people who speak Irish on public transport usually to be annoying gits who, for some reason, have to talk MUCH louder than everyone else.

Actually, while on a rant, I find people who speak Irish on public transport usually to be annoying gits who, for some reason, have to talk MUCH louder than everyone else.

Or do you just listen to them because they are speaking a languge that is alien to you, which further frustrates you.

Irish speakers who, while speaking english in an english spoken conversation amongst english only speakers, insist on throwing in a couple of Irish words. Extremely annoying.
Alot of words have their origins from our native tongue, imagine that, we spoke a different language before English was forced onto us.

When will it end? Should we also have Irish language on ingredients list for food, and other products?

or medicines?

This is interesting because the regulatory costs associated with medicine inserts is very high.

Dual language on cigarette boxes? Waste of public money. TnaG - treat it like Sky Sports. If you have an interest in it subscribe. Soon see how much of a demand there was.

Irish students given 10% extra for doing "French" etc through Irish - unbelievable.

Official Languages Act - bowing to the nutters and then giving them guaranteed employment translating the crap that no-one want to reads in Irish anyway.

Great post. Only one thing I would add though - I have got public transport thousands of times over the years I suppose ( esp. when I was a student etc ) and never heard anyone speaking Irish on it. Maybe in gaeltach areas there are a few odd people left speaking Irish though.

I find Irish people who give about other Irish people who are able to speak Irish to be annoying gits.

Great post. Only one thing I would add though - I have got public transport thousands of times over the years I suppose ( esp. when I was a student etc ) and never heard anyone speaking Irish on it. Maybe in gaeltach areas there are a few odd people left speaking Irish though.

Great because he agrees with you! are you sure you would even recognise the language given your distain for it?

Back