Warning going around from Google about an email virus that it can clear your bank account.

roker

There's warning going around from Google about a email virus and that it can clear your bank account.
I cannot understand how anyone can enter my online bank account when there is a treble security system to enter, especially the little gadget I have to Sent me code numbers first, even if they have my IBAN or bank account number they can only send money to my account not withdraw

It's not from Google and nobody can do that unless you give them the information.

They are looking for people who will believe the email and act on it.

Sadly, this happens all the time.

Possibly not, but it convince me, why would they warn you of their own virus, I kept getting a blue box up with a message approx every 5 minute which has stopped now. I ran a virus scan with Norton and it found nothing, but I still wonder how can it hack your bank account

Possibly not, but it convince me, why would they warn you of their own virus, I kept getting a blue box up with a message approx every 5 minute which has stopped now. I ran a virus scan with Norton and it found nothing, but I still wonder how can it hack your bank account
Impossible to say when we don't know that "it" is.

Scammers just found a new phishing lure to play with: Google Drive. A flaw in the Drive is being exploited to send out seemingly legitimate emails and push notifications from Google that, if opened, could land people on malicious websites. The scam itself is nothing new – messages asking you to click on dodgy links are as old as the internet itself – but could catch a lot of people off guard.

The smartest part of the scam is that the emails and notifications it generates come directly from Google. On mobile, the scam uses the collaboration feature in Google Drive to generate a push notification inviting people to collaborate on a document. If tapped, the notification takes you directly to a document that contains a very large, tempting link. An email notification created by the scam, which also comes from Google, also contains a potentially malicious link. Unlike regular spam, which Gmail does a pretty good job of filtering out, this message not only makes it into your inbox, it gets an added layer of legitimacy by coming from Google itself.

Scammers just found a new phishing lure to play with: Google Drive. A flaw in the Drive is being exploited to send out seemingly legitimate emails and push notifications from Google that, if opened, could land people on malicious websites. The scam itself is nothing new – messages asking you to click on dodgy links are as old as the internet itself – but could catch a lot of people off guard.

The smartest part of the scam is that the emails and notifications it generates come directly from Google. On mobile, the scam uses the collaboration feature in Google Drive to generate a push notification inviting people to collaborate on a document. If tapped, the notification takes you directly to a document that contains a very large, tempting link. An email notification created by the scam, which also comes from Google, also contains a potentially malicious link. Unlike regular spam, which Gmail does a pretty good job of filtering out, this message not only makes it into your inbox, it gets an added layer of legitimacy by coming from Google itself.
Well you seem to know all about it and how it works so I'm confused as to why you're asking about it here?

I am not looking at the hacker, I am looking at the possibility of gaining access to my account with all of the security around it 3 levels. Does anyone know if this is just hype to scare us or is it possible

I am not looking at the hacker, I am looking at the possibility of gaining access to my account with all of the security around it 3 levels. Does anyone know if this is just hype to scare us or is it possible
It's not hype. Questioning if it's possible is giving you a false sense of security.
Hundreds of people fall for scams like these every day, and have their accounts cleared out. I don't need your online banking login to do that, it's actually the slowest way to do it.

Question everything before clicking links / pop-ups. Don't assume I can't clear your account without your banking login.

A convincing one I saw the other day was a 'Norton' alert about a virus. I don't have Norton installed, but otherwise it was convincing.

Last edited:
At the moment I am afraid to go online to my bank even though Norton says I am safe

Back