Want to leave work to care for relative

Margaretv

Hello there

Am new to the forum.

My uncle has Alzheimer's and my Aunty is not able to care for him. Both live alone with no public transport links.

I'm planning to apply for carers benefit and if it was granted would leave my job.

I don't wish to apply for carers leave from my job as I'm not long there but have been working continuously for many years.

I see on the benefit form my employer must fill in a section but I'd rather they did not know I wanted to leave to care as if I'm not granted benefit will have to stay in my job as could not afford to care and have no income.

In this case we would have to seek outside help but I know my relatives would be more comfortable with me.

Any advice on claiming carers benefit without requesting leave from work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thank you Delfio for reply.I've read that and more I can't seem to find the answer to my question.

Do I have to apply for leave if applying for benefit.

I would just be afraid the job would find a replacement and then the benefit wouldn't be granted.

I've emailed the welfare office to ask them too.

Could you apply for carers allowance but you would be means tested and no need to involve your employer in filling in form I'd say

Thank you for reply Major I think for carers allowance I have to be not working. I think I will just say to employer if it's granted I will let them now straight away and give them 4 weeks notice and if not il be staying I'm sure they won't mind as that way it wouldn't be causing any disruption as such for them.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply

I don't wish to apply for carers leave from my job as I'm not long there but have been working continuously for many years.

If in the company for less than 12 months you cannot get carer's leave officially I think. They can probably give their own internal leave.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...nd_holidays/carers_leave_from_employment.html

I remember reading somewhere that benifit and leave don't have to both happen together. One can be rejected and the other approved but I am not sure which way or how.
I am inclined to think that you can get benifit without taking leave... Looking again at the form carb1 and revenue guidelines. One condition is you can get benifit if you are employed now or were employed for 8 weeks in the past 26. Hence it is not just for people currently employed and does not need to be connected to carer's leave.
I see no way to not inform your employer that you want to take benifit as they fill in section 4. In question 27 I assume they must write you will terminate your employment if benifit is approved. I think it is 6 or 8 weeks before your carer's benifit form will be processed.

Assuming you meet all the conditions in relation to prsi and there is deemed to be medical need for your uncle and he is deemed a 'relavant person' it should be approved.

Financially working a partial year could result in you getting a considerable amount of tax back. You may also get the carer's support grant if caring on the first Thursday in June, (your aunt probably should have been getting this in previous years). You will need to do a tax return at year end I think to pay tax on the benifit.

Last edited:
TomOC thank you so much for your very detailed reply it very informative and most helpful. Much appreciated.

I will update the thread when application is completed etc so it may help someone else.

Thank you everyone for all your advice

Back