Want to buy a car - what to do with my current 11yr old car

Andarma

I have an 11 yr old Kia Ceed, 1.4 L petrol engine. It is due the NCT in 6 weeks time. I have feeling that it might need a bit of work to pass. Last time around cost me the best part of €1k to pass, due to issues with brakes. The car runs fine, but rattles a lot and has a few things not working - windscreen washer and rear windows don’t work. Minor dent on the driver’s door. It has been an amazingly reliable car overall though.

Anyway, I have an opportunity to buy a 5 yr old car that’s in great condition with low mileage. Not from a dealer so trade- in is not a possibility. My problem is what to do with the Ceed. Do I try to sell it before the NCT date? Put it through the NCT and see if it passes? Any advice gratefully received.

Personally, I'd stick it on DoneDeal as it is. State the facts about the car and ask a fair price.

If you start spending money on it, you'll end up losing more on it.

Put a reasonable price on it to get rid of it. You'll also have issues insuring it with a second car bought.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was about to add that the mileage is 143,000 km, if that makes any difference.

Thanks. I was about to add that the mileage is 143,000 km, if that makes any difference.

It's an 11 year old car. Your buyer options are limited, especially if it has issues. Look at it this way - it served you well, you had to spend money on it because you had to keep it safe and legal, but now it's going to keep costing you.

A quick search on DD yileds these results: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Kia/Ceed?year_from=11&year_to=11&country=Ireland

They range in price from €3,500 to €7,500. Look at them and gauge your price accordingly. If you feel that the issues are only niggly issues, do the NCT and then see if it's worth fixing them or not. Ceeds with lower kms are looking for higher money. Saying that, ther are two on for 29 days and 48 days with low mileage and they haven't sold.

This Ceed has a new NCT, 169k km and is priced at €4950 but is still for sale 30 days later: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-kia-pro-ceed-1-6-tx-2dr-new-n-c-t/21581104

If it was me, I'd price to sell just to get rid of it.

That's only 89k miles and it should have an awful lot more life in it yet. You've very little to lose in putting it through the NCT. Clean up the car, fix the small things, the windows could be just a fuse, check the tyres and lights and if nothing else the NCT will tell you what the problems are and with that mileage it should be worth it. Otherwise someone will buy it as scrappage to trade against a new car and you'll get very little for it, maybe a grand or less.

It's an 11 year old car. Your buyer options are limited, especially if it has issues. Look at it this way - it served you well, you had to spend money on it because you had to keep it safe and legal, but now it's going to keep costing you.

A quick search on DD yileds these results: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Kia/Ceed?year_from=11&year_to=11&country=Ireland

They range in price from €3,500 to €7,500. Look at them and gauge your price accordingly. If you feel that the issues are only niggly issues, do the NCT and then see if it's worth fixing them or not. Ceeds with lower kms are looking for higher money. Saying that, ther are two on for 29 days and 48 days with low mileage and they haven't sold.

This Ceed has a new NCT, 169k km and is priced at €4950 but is still for sale 30 days later: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-kia-pro-ceed-1-6-tx-2dr-new-n-c-t/21581104

If it was me, I'd price to sell just to get rid of it.

You do realise that the cars you have linked to are at least 3 years YOUNGER than the OP's Ceed ?

Some cars are priced ridiculously high on DD, 08's (which is the OP's year) from €950 - €3,500 for example.
The higher priced ones will generally 'sit' there for weeks on end until the seller prices them realistically.
My advice is, if the Op wants rid of it quickly, price it at €1250 and take a grand.
Just my tuppence worth.

You do realise that the cars you have linked to are at least 3 years YOUNGER than the OP's Ceed ?

oooooooooooooops . When he said 11 years old, I got 2011 into my head when I did my search on DD.

Sorry if I caused confusion OP.

Different year but same story.... I'd still be flogging it without the NCT. As SparkRite said take the grand and run (and even less if you have to).

Me, I'd be taking as low as €800 just to get rid of it... selling as is, warts and all.

Thank you all. Another problem revealed itself today - fuel cap won’t open. Ggrrr. Luckily, I had enough petrol to get me home. I’m going to have to take it somewhere, so might as well get the other little things looked at while I’m at it.

Meant to update this... I got the few things fixed, cost €400. Car passed the NCT. I also had to tax it for another 3 months, which cost €110. So now I have to sell it, as easily (for me) as possible. Is it worth looking at a car auction place to do it for me? I really don’t fancy the hassle of selling it myself.

Is it worth looking at a car auction place to do it for me?
If you want to sell it quickly, and willing to take a low price. Merlin as an example have sold 4 07/08 Kia cee'd cars during the summer. They all sold between 900 and 1050
You pay them commission and admin fee out of that (200+)
[broken link removed]

With a new NCT you'd be better off advertising it on Done deal at a realistic price. If you've a realistic price it won't hang around long. Just ignore the calls / texts asking if you'd take half what you're asking - anyone serious will know the cars value and come see it.

If you're willing to take a fair price, it shouldn't be too much 'hassle' to sell it on Donedeal.
It's all part & parcel of car ownership.
You'll pay a pretty penny to get a 3rd party to sell it for you.

People are a bit iffy about buying cars on Donedeal to a certain degree. You could do the Greenlight thing to make it appear as genuine as possible, a good wash and take loads of photos of all the good points.
And maybe highlight some bad point like the dent to make it even more genuine.

I left Done Deal years ago, sellers allowed advertise as private when they are trade sellers and permitted to do so despite DD having access to the same sellers mobile number.

I reported probably 50 ads over the years, trade sellers advertising as private, none were removed, they need to cop on or lose their franchises.

I like Adverts especially when the seller has feedback, no feedback = forget it and move on, I find sellers care about their feedback and ensure item is as described, just ensure no long list of low value items gaining good feedback then a high value item like a car, do your homework, Adverts seller or Buyer with good feedback allows you move forward with a degree of confidence.

Back