Walnut venetian blinds with white windows, yay or nay?

ericsson

Just wondering what people's opinions are on the following.

I live in a small old ex corporation style house in Dublin city. My windows are white upvc and I currently have roller blinds in the front of the house. They need replacing and I'm thinking of replacing them with walnut coloured wooden venetians. I currently have them in the kitchen at the back of the house and just feel I could do with the privacy aspect at the front also. My question is will the wooden venetians look ok with the white windows at the front or will it look awful. I had contemplated getting cream/white instead but as my OH smokes like a chimney and I'm afraid they will discolour terribly! Also the woodwork is dark in the sitting room and I think walnut would look nicer from the inside.

Also the master bedroom (which has two large windows facing onto the front) is currently decorated with a cream bed and cream woodwork with light wooden wardrobes. I'm afraid that another colour wood will stand out awfully. Would love cream in bedroom and walnut in sitting room but from the outside it would look terrible.

Anyone have similar in their house? Btw the house is painted a linen cream outside with white window sills.. Have been debating this for weeks now and want to make a decision.

Thanks in advance

Sounds as if the cream or white would be the best option because of the clash of woods but most people don't seem to find that aspect a problem. I'm not keen on two different woods myself.

I had a similar problem and went for dark wood in the end but we do have dark windows.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the darker wood makes the room darker also.

Sorry to be direct and slightly off topic but your OH shouldn't be smoking in the house, for the sake of everyone else's health and the safety aspect they should smoke outside :) Would be easier to keep the decor clean also.

That's for the reply Mrs. Doyle. Oh believe me we have had HUNDREDS of arguments about the smoking and it goes in one ear and out the other. Short of divorce I don't think I'd ever get him to stop! Oh to have a sweet smelling home! I'm beginning to think the cream could be my only option now as the bedroom windows are really quite large and the dark wood would really take a lot of light away. Definitely food for thought. Thanks

I'd go for cream venetian blinds.....they look fresh and way brighter than walnut. Try and go for an ivory cream, they should blend in quite well with the windows.

I got rid of my dark venetian blinds a while ago as they made everything look dark.......light colours are way more simple and cheery!

I also live in an ex Corporation house and as they are small I strongly believe that enhancing any natural light is one of the most important ways to make the rooms feel larger. So in your situation I think it would be a mistake to do anything that would cut down the light (which dark blinds definitely would).

Which is a bit of a long winded way of saying go for white blinds - not cream, IMO cream on windows always looks like discoloured white, it is no easier to keep clean and it does not bounce the light the same way white does.

Oh and for your smoking other half, get him/her to read one of the Allan Carr books (smoke while reading!), worked a charm for me, am a non-smoker nearly eleven years now. (Being a non-smoker is much easier than being an ex-smoker!)

Thanks Diver and Dubgem for your help. Oh really Dubgem did you find the book worked? He has tried the electronic cigarette (lasted a week). I insist he needs to have the willpower to truely want to give them up but I'm unsure if he has that. Just worried about getting nice fresh blinds that will be discoloured with smoke stains within a month :(

Walnut will be too dark I think also.
Get the OH to smoke outside if he won't give up. I second the Alan Carr book. Off them 10 years this summer. I started the book but never finished it but gave up.

Yes, the Allen Carr book is the way to go. No willpower required, in fact the only people I know it didn't work for were people who had already given up the cigarettes before they read it. It seems to be essential to smoke while reading (I seem to recall the book encourages it too). But I would say he needs to buy it himself rather than have you get it for him as a present - shows intent! Oh and there are several books, I read the shortest one and it was very repetitive (but it worked), I imagine the longer ones would be even more so.

Back