wallpaper with repeat pattern?..clueless

I think the best thing to do is as per your own first idea. Run it all the way down the wall and then simply match the next length as per the pattern - wastage is unavoidable with patterns.

If you tried to do it the second way I'd say you'd end up with notuceable horizontal lines everywhere you cut the paper (ie: every 76 cm)

JK

just completed this job on a feature wall in the bedroom. first time to wallpaper and turned out well. sueellen's link is very good and make sure you follow steps to a T and you will be fine! you should make sure you have enough wall paper firstly following the guide on the roll - you'll get about 3 lenghts of paper per roll if 8ft walls. also make sure the code numbers and letters match. word to the wise, we had patterned wallpaper and thought it a good idea to cut all 2 rolls of paper at 50 euro a pop to size in advance of hanging any - allowing extra top and bottom (bout 4 inches each side) to make sure we had room to move around to ensure pattern matched. BIG MISTAKE...2nd roll ended up being gradually shorter with all waste at top and not covering wall at the bottom as is went along. we ended up buying a 3rd roll, so that it would be as near perfect as we amatures could get it. as there was a few weeks between purchases, the 3rd roll's letters were slightly different to the first 2 we'd bought, hence was off ever so slightly when it came to matching pattern. and so to the moral of the story, it may take longer but only cut 2 or not more than 3 lengths, hang and then match next length to that on the wall, if that makes sence, may well save the tears i shed!!!!

Last edited:
Back