Wall Vents New Build

themunsterone

Hi all,

I recently purchased an A2 new build and like many that are done in developments around the country, they have hole in the wall vents with crap plastic covers that allow the wind the fly in.

I knew this was the case before purchase but in line with building regulations, the builder was doing nothing wrong. At least it was vented, be it a cheap job. I knew it would be something I would have to get sorted myself.

Anyway, I am not in a position to put in a load of ducting for a mechanical system but I want to at least get rid of the draughts and regulate the flow of air.

I have 4 inch/100mm holes in 400mm thick walls to work with but I am finding it hard to source what I need for that sizing.

Any recommendations on how to go about upgrading what I have?

Wow, they are still mandating this basic , 100mm uncontrolled ventilation?.

Please tell me, you dont have a heat pump in same premises?

Very easily. The regulations are very clear on ventilation. As long as there are vents it passes and in relation to the BER it is the same.

The air tightness is done with the vents closed.

I don't understand it either but that's the way it is

Very easily. The regulations are very clear on ventilation. As long as there are vents it passes and in relation to the BER it is the same.

I never knew that. Good to know.

I think something like this will work and fit to existing pvc duct.

https://amzn.eu/d/iP4rB2Hhttps://amzn.eu/d/c45s1ss

Can't believe you can reach A rating without MHRV!

Have you considered some of the individual heat recovery vents, like this one (chosen randomly, reviews of this particular one are not good by the looks of it!) - https://amzn.eu/d/7eMgywT

They look expensive, but compared to putting in a full MHRV system when you only have four vents, they’re not so bad. Recover 80%+ of the heat apparently. You can connect them to each other so one intakes while another exhausts, or leave them individual if that’s not suitable.

Curious what somebody who works in the space like @Micks'r might have to say about them.

Last edited:
Curious what somebody who works in the space like @Micks'r might have to say about them.
Your starting point is how airtight are you. Generally, if reasonably good (<3 m3/hr/m2) then MVHR (either centralised or decentralised) or DCV could be appropriate but for anything leakier than that then a simpler low energy, continuous, background centralised mechanical extract system (cMEV) can be the better solution both for install cost and effectiveness.

Have the exact same issue in a new build we moved into in January. 4 vents (toilets and utility) at the back of the house which faces to the north. If there is a north wind the bathrooms are freezing. The extractor fan (when turned off) is like mini refrigeration unit at times....flying around pumping in cold air. Had no joy with the builder despite numerous attempts. Let me know how it goes for you. I'll have to get something done before the cold weather sets in. I really don't get in an A2 house you can't have a letter box but can have 4 x 100mm holes in your external wall which are wide open!

Had no joy with the builder despite numerous attempts. Let me know how it goes for you. I'll have to get something done before the cold weather sets in.
Did you buy in a development or was this a self-build? If a development, then the builder has no case to answer, they provided the cheapest solution to meet the current building regs.

If by doing something you mean reducing the open area, just ensure you employ some kind of compensation such as regularly opening windows to allow ventilation or you can look forward to condensation, mould and air quality problems.

Did you buy in a development or was this a self-build? If a development, then the builder has no case to answer, they provided the cheapest solution to meet the current building regs.

If by doing something you mean reducing the open area, just ensure you employ some kind of compensation such as regularly opening windows to allow ventilation or you can look forward to condensation, mould and air quality problems.
A small development of about 10 houses.

I need to do something but just not sure what to yet. The north wind these days is making the bathrooms particularly cold

I've got these in my (relatively) new build.

The outside vent cover works well with anything but direct storm wind.
The foam in the cavity seems to work very well for reducing any noises, we get more noise through closed window vents.
The unit in the house can be manually closed, but contains a thin piece of cloth like material spring loaded, that gradually opens and closes the vent based on humidity levels.

Comparing these to cheapest vents that I've experienced in a room in a house with retrofit external insulation, it's huge difference in drafts and noise.

I suspect they aren't cheap, but they are likely drop in replacements for what you have.

Back