Walking poles on Ryanair

Dinarius

Registered User
Messages
682
Are retractable (telescopic) walking poles allowed on-board flights?

We are flying Ryanair out of Dublin this week and will be taking our 10kg bags on-board.

Thanks.

D.
 
I'd imagine that if they fit into your 10kg bag you'd be OK as they don't x-ray your bag at boarding gate. Suppose it depends how 'telescopic' they are.
 
I’d be more worried about security, in Dublin and abroad. Ryanair won’t know or care what’s in your bag. I’ve seen the most amazing stuff pulled out of bags. Nerf gun, allowed to keep pellets which he gave them to keep he was so upset, a spade, the metal bit, Kerrygold (myself, ‘coz it’s obviously a liquid)…. So is a retractable walking stick a weapon in Spain, or a walking stick in Dublin…
 
To m
Had a cigar cutter taken from me at schipol... Thought they were pulling my leg but nope
To my amazement they once pulled us for a scissors. One of the children had it in a pencil case. I can remember being in Shannon airport once, inside, couldn’t be given a proper knife and fork to eat with. Also had an issue with breast milk. It was all very crazy after nine eleven.
 
I was pulled up for a scissors (in a first aid kit) about a month ago, boarding a flight from Perth to London via Singapore. With Trump's war in the Middle East airports and airlines are very sticky about security just at the moment.
 
I doubt that the sticks would be allowed through security.

I was in Paris 2 years ago. My wife and I had folding bikes and it was lashing rain. So we removed the bike saddles (to keep them dry) which include a 2 foot long steel bar. We queued to visit the Sacre Coeur. The security were checking all bags on the way in. So I assumed we would not be allowed in with our 2 foot steel bars. Amazingly no comment was made about our weapons and in we went.

I was not allowed through a road barrier near Roland Garros because I had 9 inch bike pump.

My bag was searched at the Eiffel tower and I had a small plastic gadget on a key ring. This was a break glass, seat belt cutter and whistle combination. I bought this after the tragedy when the family in Donegal drowned when their car slid down a slipway.
I had to give the security guard a detailed demonstration on how the gadget operated before he let me through. I reckon he thought it was a plastic gun.

Security checks are hilarious.
 
Last edited:
If you are doing something like the Camino, you can pick up poles pretty cheap almost everywhere along the route. It will probably be cheaper than the cost of checking in your bag with Ryanair.
 
You could do more damage and certainly cause more bodily harm with a man’s heavy belt! Or the stiletto shoes some women wear !
 
I’m a hiker and I’ve always put my walking poles in the checked in baggage. Security in Dublin Airport is strict. Recently my carry-on bag was pulled aside for examination when the scanner showed up the (open) prong on my belt, which was suspected of being the blade of a knife. In the past I’ve seen passengers put poles in the carry on baggage with the tips covered by caps and everything, i.e. the poles, caps etc. bound together with duct tape, but I don’t know if that would be acceptable today.
 
Are retractable (telescopic) walking poles allowed on-board flights?

We are flying Ryanair out of Dublin this week and will be taking our 10kg bags on-board.

Thanks.

D.
If you are heading to the South of France or Northern Spain just pop into Lourdes as they have an abundance of left over wheelchairs, walking sticks and other such devices which are no longer required by all the people who were cured there.
 
Are retractable (telescopic) walking poles allowed on-board flights?

The answer is NO. You can however put it in your checked luggage.

1787136822866.webp
But you might be allowed a gun in checked in luggage.
 
My experience flying through EU airports over many years hiking pokes are allowed in carry on bags through security.
Dublin, Beauvais, Biarritz, Hamburg, Milan, Bergamo, Rome, Bari, Faro, Lisbon , Asturias, Bilbao etc also Oslo. Outside EU, Montenegro, Albania
 
Back
Top