Walked away from mortgage 3 years ago and want to work in the UK

gone2018

Hi,
I walked away from an Irish mortgage 3 years ago and went to Canada. That turned out well and I'm in the process of getting my residency there.
While I'm waiting on my residency there I'm unable to work so I'm planning on returning to this side of the pond for a year to work in the meantime - either in Ireland or the UK.

Does anybody know if the banks will grab any earnings I make while I'm here (Irl) or there (UK)?
Thanks.

How would the bank know where you are or what you are doing,unless you tell them?
Has the bank got a judgement against you in your absence?
Has the house even been repossessed?

How would the bank know where you are or what you are doing,unless you tell them?
Has the bank got a judgement against you in your absence?
Has the house even been repossessed?

1. They might have debt collectors or something
2. I'm not sure, I can't find one on the courts website
3. Yeah it's been sold on

What's the story with regard to the mortgage you walked away from?

It was a joint 92% mortgage for about 350k. Essentially no payments were made on it. It was taken out in 2009.
The other person on the mortgage went into a PIA 2 years ago when it was repo'd, I can't contact them but even if I could it's unlikely they would talk to me.

I personally have had no contact with the mortgage provider for approx 4 years but the co-signee obviously has.

For someone who walked away from a debt, and have had no contact with the other mortgage holder for 4 years, you know a hell of a lot about what happened. There's no doubt at all but they would have tried very hard to contact you in some way.

For someone who walked away from a debt, and have had no contact with the other mortgage holder for 4 years, you know a hell of a lot about what happened. There's no doubt at all but they would have tried very hard to contact you in some way.
I was in touch with co-signee in or around the time of the court date.

They (the bank) have never succeeded in contacting me.

Last edited:
You should be ok working in the UK for a year after all it is a different jurisdiction. I don't think I chance Ireland as for starters your credit rating will be in shreds and you may find it difficult opening bank account.

Back