VHI Waived waiting periods

ImARebel

Hi,

I put my husband on VHI for the first time last year, he's now aged 45. The plan offered to us in work waived all waiting periods so I thought it was a good time to put him on (PMI 08 11). Only problem is he's being hit by Lifetime Community loadings

Would I be right in thinking if I switch him to a cheaper plan (also on VHI) that these waiting periods are no longer waived? he needs to remain on that plan?

We can afford the loadings being put on only by reducing the cost of his plan.

I have also considered changing my own plan I'm on Company plan level 1 along with our 2 kids, but I'm very slow to lose my low excess (75 eur), I've had occasion to use this low excess and access treatment in Vincents private as well as clane. but maybe it's a fools errand trying to keep it. I would welcome any advice as my premium has gone up by 70 a month and I just can't afford it, but I would like if at all possible to keep my husband on Private Health insurance he's not getting any younger either, lol. I'm currently paying 188 a month for myself and 2 kids on company plan plus level 1, he's on PMI 08 11).

Thanks
Marcia

ImARebel,

You would need to clarify with your company regarding the terms of your husbands policy - if he can switch plan and still retain the waiver for
waiting times. If this is possible, there are a few alternative options worth considering as follows;
1. PMI 44 16; Price 1050 + LCR rating; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered. Excess 150 per admission or day case. Limited day to day.
2. PMI 43 16; Price 1136 + LCR rating; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered. Excess 150 per admission, 50 per day case. Good day to
day cover included.
3. One Plan 150; Price 990 + LCR rating; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, excess 150. Limited day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

Alternative cheaper options for yourself, as follows;
1. PMI 41 15; price 1356pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 75 per admission, 50 per day case. Good day to day cover included.
2. PMI 35 13; price 1303pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 100 per admission or day case. Good day to day cover
included.
3. PMI 43 16; price 1136pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 150 per admission, 50 per day case. Good day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

I would recommend switching the 2 children onto VHI half price offers at the moment to maximise savings;
1. One + Plan; price 145pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, excess 125 per admission or day case, limited day to day.
2. One Plan Complete; price 164pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, no excess, limited day to day.
Savings achieved will cover any medical expenses.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks so much for that I really appreciate it.

And assuming he can't retain the waiver for a different plan (the company is only supporting plan PMI 08 11) is it worth moving to a cheaper plan anyway or should I just give up the hope of keeping him on PHI now that he's incurring community loading?

I'd stupidly thought the kids needed to be on the same policy as myself, until I came onto this site!

ImARebel,

The waiting time waiver is not a stumbling block to keeping him on health insurance.
For a start, the waiting time applied to a new customer(your husband) is six months for new illnesses so that is served anyway at this stage.
The next waiting time only applies to any pre-existing illnesses, 5 years waiting - which may not affect him at all if he has no pre-existing illnesses.
So I would go ahead anyway and move him to a cheaper plan.
The main issue is overall budget.
His lifetime community loading is 20% so this means an extra 200 approx extra on a plan costing 1000approx.

Plan PMI 43 16 would look like a good alternative for yourself.
If you wanted to keep day to day cover for the children, the cheapest way is to add Healthsteps Silver 82 euro per child onto One + Plan or
onto One Plan Complete. I'm not sure if they are under 6 or not, re free gp visits.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Sorry I didn't see this until now - Thanks so much snowyb. I definitely need to make my husband's plan lower so we can afford the community rating on top of it. I've one kid under 6 (she's 3 this year) and one aged 8 this year. So makes sense to have day to day on the older one. That said they are both sick so rarely (touch wood) that I am even in two minds about day to day. Fear is the only reason I'd keep it "what if..." suppose that's how they get us to keep paying, lol

You've definitely given me something to think about. Thanks a million.

And I assume the best course of action for my husband is to keep the current level of cover and just take up a cheaper plan with more excess. ie dropping down to a lower level of cover wouldn't be advisable? Are you better to keep it once you've got it (if you know what I mean).

If you can afford a plan with public + private hospital cover, that is more than sufficient.
A public hospital only basic plan means that he would be placed on the same public waiting list as those with no health insurance if
he needed surgery. Having the extra option of private hospital cover is a big advantage.
However, a basic plan with public hospital cover only is ok if you are avoiding having a higher lifetime community rating.

VHI have a very limited selection of plans with public + private hospital cover.
The following 3 are worth considering, just make sure the list of hospitals suit your location, for Start Plan 250.
1. One Plan 500; price 744pa; public, private + Beacon hospital covered, private excess 500 x 2 max per year per admission, day case excess
150 per visit. No excess applies to any public hospital.

2. Start Plan 250; price 756pa; selected public, selected private + Beacon hospital cover - 250 excess per private admission. Day case excess
150 per visit.

3. One Plan 250; public, private and Beacon hospital covered; private excess max 250 x 2 per year; day case excess 150 per visit.

[broken link removed]

An alternative plan with Glohealth worth considering, details as follows;
1. Kick Off Plus; price 866pa; good selection of public, private and Beacon hospital covered, excess 300 per admission. Day case 75 per visit.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Thanks so much Snowyb I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me! It really is a minefield. I was trying to compare on HIA myself and I was getting completely bogged down on the level of cover being offered versus what he actually needs.

Thanks again!

Back