Waiting on phone porting: increase in marketing calls

Latrade

Hope the title makes sense, will try and think of a better one. I cancelled eircom phone service last Friday as we were switching to UPC. Have UPC installed with a different number and have just sent off the forms to have the old number ported to UPC.

The thing is within 2 hours of calling eircom I suddenly started to get a signficant increase in direct marketing calls. Normally we're lucky and one or two a month get through, but since that period of cancelling eircom it has suddenly increased to two or three a night.

I know this isn't from the UPC end as I've only just had a chance to send over the forms regarding the porting. So what did the eircom rep do that has suddenly made my number a free for all, is this some attempt at payback for cancelling?

In addition, I happened to be using broadband while talking to the eircom rep and they stated that the broadband would remain active for another 24 hrs. However, as soon as they told me they had processed the cancellation, my broadband stopped.

The last point is a minor issue, but I am concerned that I'll now be faced with a living hell of marketing calls just because I cancelled my service. Seeing as the line is still in eircom's possession, I'm not sure how I can prevent these.

Any help appreciated.

Back