Wage deduction as part of pooled bonus scheme ??

shipibo

A Chairde,

Is it possible under Irish / EU Law for a company to take part of your wage ( .I.E 10 % reduction) , and add it to a pool with co-workers , that would enable you to get over 15 %, or get nothing back !!!!!

Am hearing this policy being adopted on continent, am wondering its legality.

For one thing no deductions (other than statutory deductions such as tax/PRSI) can be made without the employee's consent. If the employee consents to such deductions and the purposes to which they are put then I presume everything is OK?

Thanks for the reply Clubman,

If its consentual cool , but vibe I am getting is its corporate policy, and as all local companies are bound by corporate policy , this is the way forward.

This is happening in my corporate in Europe , and being mooted here.

Perhaps it is explicitly specified in the contract of employment or something?

In general I don't see how any employer can arbitrarily, without consent and forcibly make deductions for any purpose (other than tax/PRSI).

Clubman is correct with the exception of tax/prsi deductions and court order deductions only voluntary deductions can be made from an employees wages.

Perhaps you are getting confused with mutually agreed "team based performance related pay"? These type of shcemes exist in Ireland and effectively mean a renegotion of the employee's contract / terms and conditions of employment. Typically workers will under go a reduction of their basic pay which is then fixed and guaranteed. They then share weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual bonus based on the output of the team. Where this type of scheme works successfully in Ireland it was negotiated with the unions and management.

ajapale.

Ajapale,

Do you know any companies this has been implemented in ??

I am Union Rep, and can also check thru SIPTU.

Go raibh maith agat.

Slan / Ed

Back