W8 - Ben

Genasys

I hold shares in an american company. Every year I fill out the W8-BEN form and send it back to my american broker. My understanding of the W8-BEN was no tax should be charged. However, every dividend cheque I receive has tax, albeit a small amount, applied. Does filling out the W8-BEN only reduce my tax liability or should it mean that no tax at all applies?

US authorities will still deduct tax. You can avoid being taxed on the double by noting this tax already paid when you are calculating your Irish tax liability.

That's not my experience. Having filled in W8-BEN forms from time to time when notified by various US brokers (e.g. Datek/Ameritrade and E*Trade in particular) I have never had any US taxes witheld and no deductions other than broker charges and the SEC levy of 1/30,000th of the value of a trade.

I believe 15% is the normal witholding rate for Irish citizens with a W8 on file. There are other rates in use for shares of certain types of company.

[broken link removed] explanatory leaflet may be of assistance.

Ah - now I know why I never had tax witheld: because I've never held shares that paid dividends! I assumed that we were talking about income and/or capital gains taxes here and not dividend witholding tax. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Back