VW Sharan same as galaxy

M

Mermaid

Trying to buy a 7 seater for a while now - I had decided on a Ford Galaxy however it is hard to get one for my budget (14K) without a lot of mileage. I have now seen a VW Sharan being sold by a reputable dealer and am told they are basically the same as a Ford Galaxy. My main concern is safety as have 4 kids so if the galaxy is a safer car I will hold out. I find the ncap safety website confusing especially now with the new ratings system.
Can anyone give me advice on this please.

They are the same car just slightly different fittings.
I would be surprised if Fords are more expensive than VW's though.

Mermaid,

The VW Sharan, Seat Alhambra and pre-2006 Ford Galaxy are essentially the same car, all made on the same production line (in Portugal, I believe). Only the VW Sharan was tested by NCAP, and it got a poor 3-star rating. NCAP stated that they expected the Galaxy and Alhambra would get a similar score. So, it's not the best choice if safety is a concern.

The new (2006 and beyond) Ford Galaxy is a totally different model and it is this model that has the better 5-star NCAP rating. As you're talking about a €14k budget, I don't think the new Galaxy is within your reach.

However, you might be able to find a post-2003 Peugeot 807, Citroen C8 or Fiat Ulysse (all the same car, essentially) which have a 5-star NCAP rating and which are within your budget. The diesels are good.

If you want something really safe, especially for the 3rd row seats, then consider an 8 seater Toyota Landcruiser but be prepared to pay the higher road tax. I use some of the children's allowance to pay this extra charge as it's going towards their safety and well being. I've had Ford Galaxy and several other 7 seaters and find the Landcruiser brilliant. You could also try the Land Rover Discovery which would have cheaper tax due to it's smaller engine but Toyota reliability would be better.

Back