VW Passat lack of power

wjc

Hi
Have a 06 2.0L 140bhp VW Passat diesel. Have never been 100% happy with power output especially in lower gears. Have taken it to dealers a few times and they say they can find no problem with it and everything checks out on the computer. I am still not happy with it as a friend of mine has the same car and to me there is a noticeable difference. Any suggestions? Does anyone know a VW discussion forum?

go check out Car Tunning people...they can measure engine performance with high tech equipment and tell u wat the problem is..maybe ur mate has his car tunned that can only be seen inside the engine bay

as they call it REMAPPING? that should do the tricks.

Be careful about re-mapping because VW will detect such activity straight away when they hook it up to their computer. Then you'll get the"its your own fault blah blah,invalidated warranty more blah" Try asking the dealer for a drive in a similar car on the forecourt. It sounds like its the air mass meter has drifted out of range. This doesn't always produce a fault code because as far as the computer's concerned it's giving a viable signal. Ask them to replace yours(20 min job) then bring it for a "spirited"test drive the difference is usually amazing:D :D

Hello to simply answer your question, Check your cars 0 to 60mph or 0 to 100km as specified in the owners manual. If you can match it then all is ok. I you cannot then explain this to the dealer and they will have to act, They will not respond to you telling them that you think it should have more power as they hear it every day.

Yeah had similar prob on an A4 (which is identical to the passat engine wise) changed out the air flow meter or air mass meter and problem sorted.

if you are getting great MPG and no power then the Mass Meter may be your problem.
However they should have known this.

C

Hi,

firstly is your car down in power???...you can get proof of this by having it tested on a dynomometer. It will measure out the power output of your engine at all rpms.
I know of one place in Shercock Co Cavan called diesal engineering services.they will provide you with a full technical schematic showing engine performace vs rpm.For a 140bhp the results will show the vehicle giving out at least 120bhp as there will be losses in BHP through mechanical resistances.diont exp[ect the reading to show 140bhp...if found less than 120 somethings wrong.
If cavan is too far for you call them they might give you a name of someone near-by.
Once youve proof on the power output and it is indeed down in power rub it in the VW's dealer nose. get them to agree to the cost dynomometer testing should it prove that the vehicle is down in power..(at this point watch them run for cover!) dont take NO for an answer.they should pay up provided its under warranty.

A 2.0lt td passat should be very lively off the mark.I drive a similar type vehicle ...
Since i dont have a crystal ball...and without jumping the gun to much
you can ask the dealership to confrim the boost pressure of the engine at max torque.If they have checked the engine thoroughly this test would have been done during roadtest.Many dealers tend to connect a computer
and the computer tells em all the gizmos & switches are ok therefore the vehicle is fine & give it back to you....THIS SHOULD NEVER BE THE CASE ...its the same old story THE COMPUTER SAID IT WAS OK!! AND YOUR FILLED WITH THE SAME HORSE S**T.

If all the gizmos ie siwtches sensor fuel are ok its possible pressured side of the turbo is leaking air. Fuel needs air to burn if its not geting the correct amount of air the engine it will seem down in power lacking in zippyness of accelleration very noticeable when the car has passegers .Ive seen this too many times , the basics get completely overlooked all because of a computer.

food for thought ...get the dyno test done if proven to be down in power demand a compo for your inconvenience.I dont have a crystal ball (some do)to tell you whats wrong all I can give you is a very experienced qualified opinion.

Back