vw passat -heated leather seat

kieran160

my girlfriend has a vw passat with heated leather seats, after being switched on yesterday the seat heated up to maximum and started to give her a slight electric shock, the switch has a scale of 0-5, once switched on now no matter if heat is set to only 1 or 2 it heats to maximum and shocks.

any advice appreciated,
thanks

Did she get in after a lot of rain or something.

12 volts should not be enough to shock anyone.

Sounds like there is an exposed heating element, If she is feeling a shock I would sat stop using the seat heaters.

Probably a pig of a job to fix, bar finding a second hat seat in a scrap yard.

I've many a time wished for heated leather seats in my car - now I'm not so sure.

She needs to stop using the car if its like this and take it to a dealer for examination.

You can get quite a nasty shock from a 12 volt system - ask anyone who works on cars.

ONQ.

i checked myself earlier today and i also got a nasty shock! it seems to heat to maximum and then it shocks for few seconds and stops for a bit and then shocks again. the spot that is shocking is getting hotter that the rest of the seat before it shocks!! i agree that it will be probably be a nightmare to fix! she uses the heated seat feature a lot so she is dissapointed!
i have heard people complain about electrical problems in vw passats, before christmas the display inside instrument cluster packed in which shows outside temperature, radio station etc!!!

Sounds dangerous and there is a genuine risk of a fire. Personally, as a temporary safety measure, I would disable the heated seats by pulling the fuse(s) located at the end of the dash panel.

Open the driver's side door as far as it will go, and look at the seam between the dash and the end-panel and you will see a hole into which you insert a small screwdriver. Gently prise the end-panel off. Inside is a diagram for which fuse controls which electrical item as well as the fuses themselves. There is also a handy little white or blue plastic tweezers for pulling the fuses (not stray eyebrow hairs!!). The icons on the diagram can be a bit confusing, but the owners manual gives more detail about what each fuse is for. Pull the fuses for the heated seats and check if any for the dash/radio functions are blown.

I know I stabbed a seat before because of a forgotten screwdriver in my back pocket.

Could it have been something like that.

I would recommend keith in MKW he is excellent for diagnostics of this awkward stuff.

VW issued a recall of certain 2003 passats regards an overload issue due to the routing of cables for the heated seats on certain cars it only seems to effect the drivers side.
I have a copy of ELSAWIN (VWs own manuals...thanks ebay :) ) but not at work so I dont have the recall code at hand.

Scroll down to the pdf it concerns the North America market but there is one regards the Euro Zone also regards this issue...

My 2003 VW Passat heat element burned a hole in my driver seat. The dealer replaced the bottom seat portion, but unfortunately I have black shiny black leather seats and it was replaced with a matte greyish black seat (which does match the rest of the interior or seats) I am being told by VW that there is nothing they can do for me except: take my old seat back with the hole, keep the one I have and deal with it, Regional Case manager asked me if I would like to buy a new car, buy seat covers at MY EXPENSE or replace all the seats at MY EXPENSE- is anyone else out there dealing with or have dealt with this situation? Looking for advice I live in Washington state~

Back