VW Passat - Good time to buy 04?

Redzer

Hi,

I want to buy a second hand diesel Passat with lowish mileage. Is now a good time to buy an 04 model or would I be as well off getting an 05 ex-hire? I need it by mid-Sept and thought there might be good value in a depreciated car.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the issue.

I am not sure if it is a good time to buy an 04 but try and get the sport or highline with the highest BHP you can find. The 130bhp is much better to drive.

Should be a few around with leather and extras seeing as the old passat was coming to the end of its life.

Try www.carzone.ie to see prices and variety available.

Frank

Beware clocking on Passats, even on an '04.

Good time to buy is when the SSIAs roll in and not before then.

All - Thanks for the comments to date

Going to see an 04 ex-rental with low mileage (8k) at a main dealers at the weekend but notice a few comments re such cars in previous threads. Does it smell like a stinker before I even see it?

Are ex-rentals that risky? Privates sales of nearly new cars could be equally risky? Surely a main dealer is a safer bet re warranty and clocking? I need to get a car this month so can't wait for SSIA impact!

Approach any potential car the same way - eyes open wide.

Ex rentals are very likely imho to have been driven hard. I certainly give any rentacar a bit of grief!

Check the following very carefully:-

Bodywork. As the dealer has the car been in an accident, or had any bodywork done.

Suspension/wheels/tyres. Listen for any knocks or unusual noises. Regular lhd pilots regularly damage the lhs of the car against kerbs and ditches. Look underneath too.

Gearbox and clutch. Texas Ted may have done a few dodgy gearchanges and ridden the clutch.

An 04 rentacar with 8k is fairly low mileage, and you are right to be suspicious, but it may turn out to be kosher.

Good luck.

bought an ex-rental Passat recently, car born in NOv '03, I bought in May '04. 7.5k on her.

Going well, no problems whatsoever. Garage seems decent - e.g. changed the springs on the boot door for nothing. As with any car give it a good look over but I wouldnt be paranoid it - Texas Ted may be getting the hang of it !! Which leads to the question - why arent more rental cars automatic - presume its because then low re-sale in clutch happy Ireland.

Not sure you need 130 bhp - mine isnt and it moves well - plenty boot on overtake - in the era of penalty points and speed cameras only so much power is useful.

Thanks all.

Turned out to be a demo type (not ex-rental) car used by the staff of the Main Dealer with only 7,300 miles on it. They had just put another 3 months tax on it until end-Nov for their own use and as it was only registered to them since Oct 04 it turns out that there's another year of unlimited mileage manufacturers warranty on it. It was in good condition and while only the basic diesel model I was happy with it. The dealer is getting 40 ex-rental cars back in this month so he wanted to clear the yard and we agreed a cash price of €24k. The new list price is €29,300 so I thought it was a resonable deal given the low mileage and warranty. Anyway its done now so onwards and upwards! Thanks again for all comments.

Redzer.

Good luck with it then.

The Passat has just evolved into the new model, which wouldn't have helped used values.

If the new sticker price is €29300, reckon on a new cash sale price of €27500 (6% cash discount). I'd therefore have offered €22k (20% less) tops for a demo '04.

Having said that if you are happy with it so what!

paid €23k cash for mine in May '04, similar circumstances re mileage but only 6 months old. Best deal going by a fair bit at that time.

So at 24k you are not doing too bad, plus warrunty, plus garage seem ok - which could be worth a few bob !!

Back