VW Golf. Jetta or Volvo S40FSE

H

Holiday2006

Anyone any feedback on possible choices for new car as above?

Thanks

Had both Golfs and Jettas over the last twenty years .Both very reliable and felt very solid to drive in I always felt very safe in them. i commuted 100 miles a day for 10 years and never had as much as a puncture. Sorrry know nothing about the volvo. P.S. I always had a 1.9 engine

P.S. I always had a 1.9 engine
Would that be a diesel?? I'm currently thinking of either an Octavia, or Golf/Astra/Civic/Focus.
Very early stages but it would seem I could get an Octavia for the same price as a Golf but with the body of a Passat.
I'm waiting to see what taxes will be imposed in the budget on larger cars.

Would that be a diesel?? I'm currently thinking of either an Octavia, or Golf/Astra/Civic/Focus.
Very early stages but it would seem I could get an Octavia for the same price as a Golf but with the body of a Passat.
I'm waiting to see what taxes will be imposed in the budget on larger cars.

The Skoda Octavia is based on the Golf platform not the Passat. As you can read here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/newreviews/207255/skoda_octavia.html

The Skoda Superb is based on the Passat platform. As you can read here:

[broken link removed]

The Octavia is easily as good and perhaps a better built car than the Golf. If you check the JD Power surveys and many other surveys etc for reliability it is way ahead of any VW's

I would go for the Octavia for reliability but the Focus is the best of the bunch as a drivers car.

If you are only selecting a low powered 1.4 it is much of a muchness

While you are correct, I think you are taking Geroid too literally. The room, interior, rear leg, boot etc, in an Octavia is more like a Passat than a Golf. Regardless of the platform its based on.

I never understood why Skodas do better in surveys than VW if the mechanicals are the same.

These surveys take other things into account as well,like how people were treated when they had problems,delivery times,cost of servicing,etc.

While you are correct, I think you are taking Geroid too literally. The room, interior, rear leg, boot etc, in an Octavia is more like a Passat than a Golf. Regardless of the platform its based on.

I never understood why Skodas do better in surveys than VW if the mechanicals are the same.

A fair question perhaps this may help

The Czech assembly line trys harder!

The German automobile TV show AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT compared the Škoda Octavia with its cousin, the GOLF Mark V and concluded that the Škoda Octavia was slightly better than the Volkswagen Golf owing to a little more interior space and other specific ergonomics, better build quality, better driveability and a lower price.

The British automobile magazine and TV/radio show TOP GEAR in their 2006 survey placed the first generation Octavia into 3rd place and was described as a masterpiece of dependability. The second generation was too new to be included in the survey.

The British automobile magazine Auto EXPRESS awarded to the second generation Octavia the gold medal in their prestigious Driver Power top 100, stating that it is the UK'’s most satisfying car to own in 2007 and that it has bettered every other car on sale in the UK and that along with other Škodas, the Czech-built Octavia has been a markedly reliable vehicle, more so than the Audi A3 and Volkswagen Golf with which it shares platforms.

In 2006 Warranty Direct, a UK-based provider of mechanical warranties for used cars, rated Škoda the top manufacturer (above Mazda and Honda), while Audi came seventh from bottom.

The Octavia specifically had a reliability index of 32.74 (lower being more reliable) while the Golf produced over the same period was 87.28 and the Audi A3 99.43.

Great feedback- many thanks

Any info on Volvo s40? I am thinking of the 1.8 flexi fuel model in particular

Thanks

I think you should wait until after the budget. Major changes to VRT and road tax for ffv & other low polluting vehicles are on the way I understand.

Great feedback- many thanks

Any info on Volvo s40? I am thinking of the 1.8 flexi fuel model in particular

Thanks

Volvo S40 1.8 is nice to drive, but doesnt have all that much power. Looks great (imo), has comfortable seats and great spec. Is based on the Ford Focus so doesnt have much space inside and the boot isnt huge.

Depreciation is savage- a 05 31k S40 is only worth 18k as a trade in now and will be worth even less in January. (OK, so you'd get maybe 20k in a private sale if you were very lucky)
According to the dealer I was in on Saturday, Volvo are only bringing in the 'traditional' 1.8 as a special order from Jan 08- all the 1.8's they're selling are the FlexiFuel (petrol & ethanol) ones because the VRT is reduced on them.
I'd say a substantial number of those cars will never be run on ethanol though-apparently only MAxol sell it at the moment.

Servicing is expensive but no more so than VW main dealers in my experience of both.

Thanks for info. So would you recommend buying 2nd hand volvo? or staying with Golf etc

I like spec and image of volvo though!

Thanks for info. So would you recommend buying 2nd hand volvo? or staying with Golf etc

I like spec and image of volvo though!

The whole new car/secondhand car thing has been done to death already. Some people like the peace of mind that comes with a main dealer warranty, the new car smell, 07 plate etc. and are prepared to pay for it. Some others like to buy cars that have done some depreciation, live with the fact that they'll have to spend a few euro extra on parts & servicing, and save a lot of money on the purchase price.
I'm not going to recommend one approach over the other- each to their own.

In terms of comparing the cars, I had a 1.4 Golf Mark IV before the S40 and the S40 is light years ahead of it in terms of comfort, spec and performance.

Back