VW Golf GTI vs 3-Series Coupe

FTB2006

Hi All,

Am considering paying c. 25k on either of the above; 05 / 06 Golf Vs 03/04 318ci.

Golf
+ Engine, performance
- Thirsty

BMW
+ percieved to be classier
+ refinement
- getting common... every howaya is driving one!

Anyone have any advice? Specifically,

- Will the Golf fleece me buying petrol? I have heard they can be thirstly but I wonder if driven sensibly most of the time, it might not be too bad??

- Would either have more expensive maintenance costs (tyres, servicing, upkeep, etc)

Thanks all,
FTB

Golf will be faster, BMW will be better drive. If you are worried about fuel economy don't buy either.

Friend has the 318Ci and feels it is underpowered compared to the previous 318is. Reckon the BMW will have higher running costs as is older car and BMW would be more expensive repairs.

My buddy's 07 GTI is doing about 28mpg. He's resorted to taking his wifes supermini daily to work. Still its in another league to a 318.

Fuel consumption on either of therse cars should really be a relatively minor consideration imho.

Both are fine motors.

My brother had a 00 318ci and changed it to a 07 GTI - thinks BMW is a fine car but prefers the GTI - Both are fine cans but I prefer the GTI myself. He aslo is getting about 28 mpg daily and about 35 on a long drive

Cheers lads...

I'm probably overthinking it.. heads says "buy the beemer, in m-sport form its a fine looking car, prestige marque etc, it'll hold its value etc etc" but heart says "buy the gti, you've always wanted one and even though its only a VW, it goes like stink and should be fun to drive EVERY day"!!

Plus, its likely to be the last car I buy before I need to upgrade to something more sensible (eg big comfy saloon!)

Cheers lads...

I'm probably overthinking it.. heads says "buy the beemer, in m-sport form its a fine looking car, prestige marque etc, it'll hold its value etc etc" but heart says "buy the gti, you've always wanted one and even though its only a VW, it goes like stink and should be fun to drive EVERY day"!!

Plus, its likely to be the last car I buy before I need to upgrade to something more sensible (eg big comfy saloon!)
The GTI is faster but the BMW is a better drive.

Back