Vuvuzelas: That awful buzzing noise at the World Cup in South Africa.

thedaras

Having watched the football today, all I can hear is horns,horns horns!!
Becoming very annoying!

Wrecking anyone else's head?

No! :)

Turn up the volume and soak up the atmosphere.

They should hand them out at Lansdowne Road.

atmosphere?? It sounds more like a swarm of bees. They are very annoying and you cannot hear the crowd at all. Same happened in the Confederations Cup last year in S. Africa which gave us a clue of things to come.

The relief when the other half changed channel after the France match was incredible.

The horns shouldn't be allowed into the stadiums - agree with Ronan C, sounds just like a swarm of bees!

WC - awful buzzing sound

What's this awful buzzing sound you can hear during all WC matches? Sounds like bees running /flying/ amok. Makes it really difficult to watch the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are the vuvuzela (could be the correct spelling) horns that the locals seem to enjoy blowing for the duration of matches and apparently during open air training sessions too. Something that will have to be endured for the WC.

Reports on Twitter suggest the BBC audio bods have worked out how to lessen their noise during broadcast, but then you could hear Mick McCarthy all the more.....

eventually you will learn to drown out the noise after watching a few matches. like the commentary it only just takes a bit of getting used to.
I mean if i can concentrate really really hard then i can just about drown out the white noise that the wife makes when she talks to me when the footie is on, hence if i can apply the same to the horns then it should just be a gentle white noise in the background.......

No! :)

Turn up the volume and soak up the atmosphere.

They should hand them out at Lansdowne Road.

I've changed my mind. They must be driving the fans in the ground mad as well.

Presume it's the locals doing this. Can't help wondering if they are even watching the matches.

I was just relieved to find out what it was. I thought my tinnitus had gone up a few octaves.

They probably were given their tickets for free. These guys have no interest in the game at all.

what makes you say they have no interest? soccer in SA is one of the biggest sports, the horns are used at all matches (orlando pirates are supposedly the biggest users of the horns in club football there). So what if they were given the tickets for free it might encourage more people to kick a ball around after the world cup has left and they might enjoy the games when there.

I's agree that the interest in football is perhaps weaker than the interest in being there.

In fairness, it would be difficult to engage in a match to any meaningful level if you spend the 90 minutes blowing into a bloody horn.

Back