Vrt

astras

Hey,

I live in england but returning to eire to live in july.

bought a cat here in december 08, will i have to pay vrt to bring her back?
any help appreciated...

I reckon the cat will not incur any vrt fees .... you may need to innoculate it etc. (sorry ..couldn't resist)

Re. importing a car ..... Info here may help:

[broken link removed]

You should be fine as long as it's a genuine transfer of residence.

You need to have proof of tax, registration, insurance, residence at your UK address and documentation for your move to Ireland - e.g. a job offer.

Try and bring the car over at the end of a month as you can claim a refund of the Uk car tax as long as it's postmarked before the last day of the month.

You won't be able to sell the car in Ireland for a year, it'll state this on the reg. cert.

Not a Jaguar is it?

SSE

When I moved from NI to RoI a few years back I didn't have to prove that I had a job when moving to the state.

afaik, all you need is proof that the car was legally road-worthy in the country you are coming from for at least 6 months prior to your arrival in Ireland. It also has to have been on the road too, ie taxed, insured, MOT etc.

And you must have owned the car for at least 6 months too I believe. So you can't buy a car one day and then move to Ireland the next.

You need to be able to prove that you are genuinely moving to the State and that you have used the car legally in your original location. The exemption is for a transfer of permanent residence and so documents such as the sale/purchase of property, termination and commencement of a tenancy, termination and offer of employment, insurance records, service records may all be required.

You may not be required to produce these depending on the VRT office, but I wouldn't rely on it.

If you can prove your case then you shouldn't have a problem.

SSE

Cheers for the replies!

Im doing teacher training here, moved over and started in sept 08, finishing June 09 and moving back.

It says on the revenue site that if you are completing studies you dont qualify for VRT relief.

Hopefully i an persuade the tax office in june that i wasnt studying. I dont earn a wage but i get a monthly bursary / grant.

Back