VRT Rates to Increase?

csl

Heard a rumour (from two Irish dealers) that the Government (under pressure from Irish motoring groups) are set to raise VRT rates in December. Has anybody heard anything similar?

WHAAAT ? Do dealers get a percentage of the final selling price as commission ? So if VRT increases, so does the selling price, and by extension, their commission ?

Of course, the govt will happily cave to this 'pressure' as the exchequer is so far behind on predictions.

Bugger, time to buy that 5 Litre V8 'hybrid' :)

Heard a rumour (from two Irish dealers) that the Government (under pressure from Irish motoring groups) are set to raise VRT rates in December. Has anybody heard anything similar?

Why would Irish motoring groups (other than dealers) want a rise in VRT rates?

Maybe I'm cynical but a baseless rumour floated by a car dealer whose business is possibly tanking, is frankly laughable.

Havent heard about an increse in VRT. I think a lot of people would like it to go back to something like what car prices were, a lot of people's car's have come down in price and that effects the price of your trade in. So if a new car has come down 5k then your year old car will lose at additional 5k and so on.

Maybe not so laughable - 75% of cars registered in the Republic last month were imports from the UK. Dealers are looking at their business going down the tube and the governments excehequer amounts have decreased because they got the VRT rates incorrect. To buy before January 1st 2009 or not?

MR2 thats is a little simplistic.

1 year old car may take the full hit alright as you go down the years a 5 year old car that was worth 5k before july will probably still be worth more the 0 now as a trade in.

I would imagine there are dealers stuck with used and registered cars that have dropped in pirce, and they are loathed to drop there prices. but if anyone should have known it was the dealers.

Anyone one that bought an 07 or early 08 520D or 320D is taking a bit of a kicking alright, mind you the cost to change should actually stay relatively the same your 2nd hand car and new car dropped about the same, bar the road tax of course.

As for the gov screwing the motorist next budget assume the position lads.

It might be that the distributors aim to increase their prices after the difficult trading conditions this year.

After all the publicans would jack up the price of a pint if the gubberment were to lower the tax on drink

I wouldn't mind the english imports, any one who buys an english import isn't saving anything if it's an every day sort of car ie. passat, saab, bmw etc, every day dealers are getting more and more info on imports and most have had milage adjustments, so if you buy it €3k cheaper, you cannot expect to sell it at the same price of an Irish legit car. It might work out cheaper if you keep it for 7 or 8 years and are not hoping to trade it in to a main dealer.

Frank it may be simplistic but fairly accurate, a 5 year old car that was worth in the region of 5k before the VRT change and what it's worth now is hard to say, only when it's sold can you say what it's worth. We have maybe 7 cars here we traded in during July and traders won't take them, they require to much work to fix for retail or are to old, so there worth nothing to us, until there sold!

I wouldn't mind the english imports, any one who buys an english import isn't saving anything if it's an every day sort of car ie. passat, saab, bmw etc, every day dealers are getting more and more info on imports and most have had milage adjustments, so if you buy it €3k cheaper, you cannot expect to sell it at the same price of an Irish legit car. It might work out cheaper if you keep it for 7 or 8 years and are not hoping to trade it in to a main dealer.

Have you any basis in fact for this? Some have been clocked clearly, but "most"?

Incidentally HPI offer a warranty against mileage discrepancy should you use their service and get an incorrect mileage. Up to £10k.

I wouldn't mind the english imports, any one who buys an english import isn't saving anything if it's an every day sort of car ie. passat, saab, bmw etc

That's the daftest thing I've read on this site in a long time. I've just brought a 08 BMW 320 D M Sport in from the UK for just slightly over €37k, if I bought the car brand new here with the options it would have cost me 53k, taken it that it was 6 months old and looking at the market in july, garages were asking 45-48 for similar cars (Lower spec on most of them) - so saved at minimum 6-8k after cash discount. As for the milleage, as R2k states HPI checks will gurantee.

I also bought from a BMW garage who have to follow standards setout by BMW UK. Clocking not included.

Maybe not so laughable - 75% of cars registered in the Republic last month were imports from the UK. Dealers are looking at their business going down the tube and the governments excehequer amounts have decreased because they got the VRT rates incorrect. To buy before January 1st 2009 or not?

If the VRT was scrapped then we wouldn't have to go to the UK, the government should try this rather than increasing it.
It will be hard for a few years as car values will drop but for the future it would be a more fair place to buy a car.
You may even get buyers from UK coming here as the pre tax is cheaper?

Mahons, for the craic, go to any main dealership and say you want to trade it in, see the reaction they give you when you say it's an import. You only save money if you can buy it cheaper and still sell it at the normal asking price! You won't be able to sell that car for the colour of 40k.

I actuall have people that have had the HPI check done and months later found milage corrections, to be honest I don't know how they have faired out afterwards but the shock on there face when they say I had it checked out! More and more garages and the importers in the UK are having there information given to our sites and our sites are being updated weekly, just yeaterday I had a passat that we did work on in May and every thing looked ok, checked it yesterday and it was flagged when it came in for work.

That poor customer only bought that car in November last year, maybe HPI and other sites can offer the warranty against milage because they know people will not go after them, it's the garage they go for and want there money back from.

I could keep going with examples, we get at least 2 a week, so if you were to multiply that times the amount of main dealers in Ireland, you can see why main dealers will not trade them in to sell, because you cannot put a warranty on them.

Anyone looking to buy a s.h. car who ignores the obvious savings to be made from buying in the UK is a fool, plain and simple.

I have not found a car yet which costs less in Irl than the UK.

MR2 seems to be the magnet for clocked imports. Seriously dude, what's going on if a car bought in Nov is fine in May and not now ?

Besides that, I've made profits on my last 2 cars bought from the UK, and driven them for 3 years. UK spec is practically always higher, and they seem to be in much better condition than their Irish counterparts.
80k miles on a UK car is better in my mind than 80k on an Irish car. The motorway network means that someone could travel a 50 mile commute on good motorway and cause far less wear and tear than someone doing a similar commute in Ireland.

Also, your statment that "I think a lot of people would like it to go back to something like what car prices were" is possibly true for thos who have bought an expensive diesel in 2007 and have seen their car drop in value since the CO2 rules were introduced. But selling it will still give them relatively the same purchasing power for a new car so the differences are cancelled out.

Aha - so they will raise prices to stimulate the market..........nonsense
More likely story - is dealers putting out rumors of impending price increases to boost sales in second half of 2008. Would not be surprised to see some of the less well managed dealers go to the wall due to the downturn.

That's the daftest thing I've read on this site in a long time. I've just brought a 08 BMW 320 D M Sport in from the UK for just slightly over €37k, if I bought the car brand new here with the options it would have cost me 53k, taken it that it was 6 months old and looking at the market in july, garages were asking 45-48 for similar cars (Lower spec on most of them) - so saved at minimum 6-8k after cash discount. As for the milleage, as R2k states HPI checks will gurantee.

I also bought from a BMW garage who have to follow standards setout by BMW UK. Clocking not included.

Had the same experience on a BMW 118D SE, BMW Main Dealer and always owned by dealer, registered in Jan and 5600 Miles on the clock.

With the extras, would be at least 33K in Ireland. Have it imported with VRT paid for 23.5K, a saving of over 10 K.

Car was like new except for 2 small stone chips on the bonnet.

Also has an additional years gurantee which they will honour in Northern Ireland.

A no brainer. A 3 year old car in the local dealer cost more than I paid for mine (old model).

Also if UK Main Dealers can clock cars, why won't Irish dealers.

The garage experience was also one of the best I experienced in a long time. And I purchased a number of premium brands over the past few years in Ireland.

Car sitting in my drive with the same reg as if I purchased in the local BMW stealers and only difference oddometer and speedo in miles.

There seems to be a lot of bargains particularly in BMW when the garages register cars in January to meet their targets, it was a 57 reg. Also got a 850 off the asking price for cash.

Mahons, for the craic, go to any main dealership and say you want to trade it in, see the reaction they give you when you say it's an import. You only save money if you can buy it cheaper and still sell it at the normal asking price! You won't be able to sell that car for the colour of 40k.

I actuall have people that have had the HPI check done and months later found milage corrections, to be honest I don't know how they have faired out afterwards but the shock on there face when they say I had it checked out! More and more garages and the importers in the UK are having there information given to our sites and our sites are being updated weekly, just yeaterday I had a passat that we did work on in May and every thing looked ok, checked it yesterday and it was flagged when it came in for work.

That poor customer only bought that car in November last year, maybe HPI and other sites can offer the warranty against milage because they know people will not go after them, it's the garage they go for and want there money back from.

I could keep going with examples, we get at least 2 a week, so if you were to multiply that times the amount of main dealers in Ireland, you can see why main dealers will not trade them in to sell, because you cannot put a warranty on them.

I get the funny feeling that your own business is being effected by the imports and you are doing your best to talk down UK cars and HPI. The UK motoring industry is years ahead of us and I would trust their institutions anyday before ours. I have bought abroad on numerous occasions and never had a problem with HPI.

I am on my 3rd UK import. I have sold my last 2 privately and gone back to UK to purchase each time.

The beauty of this is I avoid having to deal with Irish car dealers. The last car I bought was from a main dealer in Scotland. Agreed price on phone and dealer agreed to keep car for me for 3 weeks. Organized flight and she collected me from prestwick airport (100 mile round trip). Car was immaculate - new mats and full tank of fuel. Would irish dealer to the same I wonder?

Also accepted payment by Credit card so I could have walked away if car wasnt as advertised.

I reckon I saved a least 5k. Almost a year on I still see same cars on carzone from dealers priced 5-7k more than I paid. I have also had warranty work done in my car since I got it at a main dealer without any problems (it being an import)

A relative is looking to trade a car at present and tried some dealers. Lets just say he is a lot more stressed dealing with them that I ever have been in my transactions.

As for Irish dealers clocking cars. There have been several main dealer who have been engaged in this practice and caught out - just listen to the news
[broken link removed]

Also there have been main dealers convicted for price fixing
[broken link removed]

MR2 seems to reckon buying used imports is a bad idea. However my local BMW garage seems to think it is a great idea since I have frequently seen car transporters full of english BMWs unloading at my local BMW dealer. A couple of days later I see same cars with Irish reg. I wonder what that dealer is saying when one of the buys wants to trade in after a couple of years. This dealer also sells ford and I have also seen transporters full of english mondeos and focus's

Once the car is fully checked I have yet to hear any reason to convince me that buying a car from a irish dealer makes more sense.

Last weeks motoring suppliment in the times had an interesting article about how the the OMSP (in VRT system) seems to be much higher that the value for such cars on forecourts in ireland. It confirmed that revenue get the OMSPs from the irish motor industry. Suggest here is that perhaps it suits the motor indusry to keep the values higher since it makes cost of importing more expensive. Oviously if car values are plummeting on the forecorts then the OMSP for those cars should be dropping at the same rate thereby reducing the VRT.

Once the car is fully checked I have yet to hear any reason to convince me that buying a car from a irish dealer makes more sense.

I couldn't agree with you more here 'westside'.

Last weeks motoring suppliment in the times had an interesting article about how the the OMSP (in VRT system) seems to be much higher that the value for such cars on forecourts in ireland. It confirmed that revenue get the OMSPs from the irish motor industry. Suggest here is that perhaps it suits the motor indusry to keep the values higher since it makes cost of importing more expensive. Oviously if car values are plummeting on the forecorts then the OMSP for those cars should be dropping at the same rate thereby reducing the VRT.

This sure is very interesting. Jus another example of our corrupt policy makers protecting greedy business interests.

Back