VRT on UK Import/ insurance consequences

C

claret_dub

Hi,

Anyone got any advice on this:

My Brother who lives in UK has a BMW320 CI convertible that I am considering buying from him. He is willing to sell it to me at a good price.

The Quote I got for the VRT was massive on this car and its making the deal out to be not so good.

I am considering giving him the money but keeping the car in his name (for a 1 year period.. using his old address in Dublin... ie telling the Tax man that he came back to live here and brought the car with him)

I know I can avoid the VRT if "he" keeps it here for 1 year without selling it, but I'm not so sure if I can get insured on this car if Its not in my name. My Brother is younger than me so the insurance will be more expensive if I just am a named driver on his policy.

Anyone got any ideas on the best way to do this?

If Irish Customs & Excise find an Irish national who is resident in the state driving a non Irish registered car they can ( and frequently do ) confiscate it.

Not only that but the VRO will want to see documentary proof of his return to Ireland.

Bank a/c's, property sale/purchase, job resignation/offer - that sort of thing.

You won't get away with it. Don't risk losing the car.

RS2K said:
You won't get away with it. Don't risk losing the car.
Precisely.

Believe me Customs have seen and heard every possible method of circumventing vrt and are well on top of it. There's thousands at stake on each car so don't think for a second that you're the first to try and work around it.

It won't work, simple as that.

claret_dub said:
My Brother is younger than me so the insurance will be more expensive if I just am a named driver on his policy.
If you are considering being a 'named driver' on his policy when you are actually the main driver of the car, be aware that this is insurance fraud. You may find yourself with no insurance cover, bearing personal liability for the costs of any accident. Insurance companies are pretty good at finding ways to weasel out of paying claims - identifying the lies told by their customers is just one of these ways.

RainyDay said:
If you are considering being a 'named driver' on his policy when you are actually the main driver of the car, be aware that this is insurance fraud. You may find yourself with no insurance cover, bearing personal liability for the costs of any accident. Insurance companies are pretty good at finding ways to weasel out of paying claims - identifying the lies told by their customers is just one of these ways.

Correct and right. Well put too.

Back