VRT on car imports

I

Irelandfc1

Hi,

I am currently living in New York and am planning to move back to Ireland in about a month.

Cars are a lot cheaper over here and therefore I was thinking of buying one before coming home.

How long do I have to own the car outside of the country to avoid getting charged the VRT on it?

Also, has anyone ever imported a car from the States and know of the cost of this?

Thanks!

You have to prove that you have owned the car for at least 12 months before it is exempt from VRT. Note that if you are buying new, you may be liable for VAT (I think you have to hve 6,000 miles on the clock if you want to avoid VAT). I don't know what the shipping costs will be, but I'd imagine they ain't cheap. I don't know of too many people importing cars to Ireland from the US.
  • Will you feel comfortable driving a left-hand drive in Ireland?
  • The cost of fuel over here is currently around €1.05 per litre , that's a lot higher than the US and most tanks over here are smaller and we tend to have more fuel efficient cars.
  • Road tax will hurt on a car with a larger engine as well.
  • Insurance could be a 'problem' as well.

This thread discusses the Mustang from an Oirish point of view. Note the comment on VRT-remember that the Revenue assess VRT on their own estimate of the car's market value, not on the invoice price.

You should also check out the Motors forum on www.boards.ie, there is a lot of good info, including a sticky on importing.

If you are coming back from the states you could also look at buying a new right hand drive car in the US - despite what people may think it is possible - I know people who worked in the Irish Consulate who managed to order a brand new right hand drive Volvo estate before moving back to Ireland (they did admit it took a bit of explaining to the car salesman who didn't know that cars came with steering wheels on the wrong side)

However, if you are moving in a month or so you may have left it too late :(

I brought a car home from the US a number of years ago, it went in a conatiner, took about 3/4 months from door to door, cost of shipping was about about £3,000 or £4,000 but that was 15 years ago!

with regards to importation of a car i was quoted 1000 sterling to bring the car into england. i would then collect and bring on back to ireland. i have tried DAS who are supposed are reccommended by ebay but have to say i never got a price from them but may thats cause it was an inquiry as opposed to actually having a car to transport

Back