vrt and vat disabled vehicle

procus

Hi
My wife is qualified for the disabled driver allowance. She gets the vrt and vat back on a new car. Does anyone know how this is calculated. For example a car that costs 21,000 , how do you work out the total cost to her. do you take vrt off first and then vat off the final amount, if someone could give me an example I would really appreciate it , as she has been around dealers and the price differences are staggering. she is totally confused and so am I. Thanks in advance for your help

Anything useful on Revenue site, such as;

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Note from the Revenue article that it doesn't actually have to be a new vehicle in order to qualify for this relief:

In the case of a used vehicle, the vehicle must be purchased from an authorised dealer. While most dealers are authorised, if you have any doubts in this regard your local Revenue Vehicle Registration Office will confirm if a dealer is authorised.
You may make application for relief in respect of any of the following types of vehicle:
  1. A new vehicle
  2. A used vehicle which has not been previously registered in the State
  3. A used vehicle which was previously registered in the State in which case the amount of the repayment will be the residual tax contained in the value of the vehicle.

Thanks Dnadan and circle for those tips. Every dealer comes back with huge differences in prices. the price they quote you for the car is apparantly not the price they calculate the vrt on. even though the car has no extras they work on another price called the open market selling price which is about 2 grand less than the selling price. Totally confused!
once again
thanks for your help

Get your cost price of the vehicle. divide it by 3 to give you a 1/3, this is the VAT and VRT. Note the maximum VRT repayable is €9,525 so any car that has a gross price of 28k or more the €9,525 will apply to any amount above this.

Has she told the dealers in question that she's entited to claim this? Surely they can give her the actual amount that she'll have to pay. I know my local dealer does the paperwork involved. Bear in mind that if she's a disabled driver that there will most likely be modifications needed to the car. Surely the dealer will be able to quote for this also.

Lorraine B

Has she told the dealers in question that she's entited to claim this? Surely they can give her the actual amount that she'll have to pay. I know my local dealer does the paperwork involved. Bear in mind that if she's a disabled driver that there will most likely be modifications needed to the car. Surely the dealer will be able to quote for this also.

Lorraine B
IME, its easier and more cost effective to deal directly with the modifier, whether this be for seating, hand-controls or whatever. The VAT on these items can also be reclaimed as can the VAT on diesel purchases.

Some dealers are very helpful, IME, others seem clueless regarding the process.

hi

kindly note the car must be adapted in some form, automatic transmission does not count.

vrt only comes off when car is adapter , this adaption must be declared to insurance company, and accompaned with garage/engineers report

I've gone through this process a few times. Once I was able to haggle so I did not have to pay the VAT and then reclaim it later, I just signed that you will pass the VAT refund to the garage when I got it. Last week I replaced my car and got a full breakdown of figures from the garage and they organised the modifications. recommend EPMooney Honda on the Naas road if youre in Dublin.

Back