Voting in the General Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we even think about e-voting we need to get the register fit for purpose, when the OP hasn't even bothered to register where he actually lives shows the uphill struggle required to get the register in shape.

This is a shockingly poor and pessimistic argument. If done right it would work but it would have to be done right. you cant argue against e-voting on the basis that the government might mess it up!!(although admittedly they probably would).

I really, really wish it was't so. I have very low expectations when any government body goes to implement a complex IT system, yet they still disappoint me every time. Let them prove me wrong on something that won't cost in the hundreds of millions, or more.

"How would I secure an online system from fraud" - im not sure but an IT/Cyber expert would know.

I do work in IT security. You probably don't want to know how most of the biggest companies in IT security have been breached over the years. Even the very hardware used as the backbones of the internet have been compromised. So even the experts are not safe. At the most basic level, something like a denial of service attack that took Boards.ie and a number of linked sites down there a couple of weeks back can be arranged for less than €50 dollars an hour. A full breach of a system will cost more, but it's becoming a commodity service if you know where to look.

As a layman I go back to the numerous examples of individuals already using the internet to make sensitive and fraud-prone transactions. also by having a secure log-in your half ways there. In the same way with internet banking or with the revenue or with any payment platform one must "prove" who they are. Security questions could be used as a basic form of verification but there are more sophisticated ways of doing it.

Even with all the security features of Chip & PIN cards, they suffered $1B in fraudulent transactions in the SEPA area alone in 2013. Those systems currently tolerate a certain level of fraudulent transactions, most are only picked up when the account holder notices a strange transaction or missing money some time later upon reviewing their statement. The investigation and resolution of those fraud claims can take weeks or even months. How do you factor that into an electoral system where there are no statements issued to confirm your choices, or weeks or months available to validate and adjust for such fraud? Is there a tolerable level of fraud in an electoral system?

"how do you confirm with 100% certainty that no one else is observing or influencing their vote?"
Sure anyone can influence or observe anyone's votes as things stand....

People can influence, but in the poling stations, an overbearing father can't stand over his children in the booth as they vote.

Before we even think about e-voting we need to get the register fit for purpose, when the OP hasn't even bothered to register where he actually lives shows the uphill struggle required to get the register in shape.
Dereko chill the beans - lets stick to the question here....e-vote or no e-vote.

Leo,

I take on board your main point above - you are convinced that fraud would happen and would be unstoppable. I was hoping a system could be designed to minimise the likelihood of this but perhaps thats not the case.

I'm perfectly chilled, I'm pointing out the massive problems we have with the electoral register as it is with people not living where they're voting. You can't introduce e-voting without a reliable electoral register. The only way I see of doing that reliably is by using PPSN which would have all sorts of civil liberty issues and is, I think, a non-starter.
You can't just talk about e-voting in isolation.

I take on board your main point above - you are convinced that fraud would happen and would be unstoppable. I was hoping a system could be designed to minimise the likelihood of this but perhaps thats not the case.

Yeah, it's all about what the acceptable level of fraud is, and what it costs to build and maintain a system to those standards. The fraudsters evolve daily, keeping up with them is a very expensive business.

Reactions: jim
I have worked as a Presiding Officer and count staff. The system while manual and cumbersome does protect people. All the ballot papers have a serial number on them which is duplicated on the counterfoil, these are checked by the count staff, each ballot paper is stamped or perforated on the day of the poll, the stamp used is known to very few people before the day. These are both measures to prevent stuffing the ballot box. Anything with the wrong stamp would be discarded as a spoiled vote. For a poll result to be affected a significant number of ballots would have to be interfered with and this would also be noticed, the papers when checked would show they were invalid rather quickly. All work in a count centre is done under the watchful eye of official count staff, Returning officer and his team, tallymen, reporters, candidates and other interested parties, the opportunity to interfere with the count is slim.

Call me cynical but I think if the government, or more likely the advertisers who would pay good money for access to the voting preferences of a particular group of people had enough money the integrity of the ballot would be very much in doubt. Far greater risks in my opinion than the paper and pen model we currently use. Each and every ballot is verifiable back to the polling station/presiding officer it was issued to and each table that is set up has a tally of how many votes it issued. And in the event of a close result there is the opportunity to recount and re-examine each vote, which is not available with e-voting.

Excellent Post.

1. What do you mean by "stuffing the ballot box"?
2. Is verbal contact allowed between Count Centre Staff and Tallymen?
3. Do the candidates eventually know all information from each box counted?

e-Voting at polling stations may be feasible if done correctly but I'd use it only to facilitate automated counting, similar to how lotto slips are processed, this would improve efficiency in counting. But even these have problems (remember the controversy in Florida over ballot papers and the hanging chaffs).

I don't think voting on-line could ever work. Dead people can't show up at polling stations but they could show up on line for a long time. The system would probably crash when the polls were about to close.

As for emigrants voting, maybe in Presidential elections and maybe some senators. You could have an extra constituency for the diaspora where the TDs only have input on issues relevant to the diaspora.

We may just be as well off with a quickpick option, nothing ever seems to change anyway.

e-Voting at polling stations may be feasible if done correctly but I'd use it only to facilitate automated counting, similar to how lotto slips are processed, this would improve efficiency in counting. But even these have problems (remember the controversy in Florida over ballot papers and the hanging chaffs).

I don't think voting on-line could ever work. Dead people can't show up at polling stations but they could show up on line for a long time. The system would probably crash when the polls were about to close.

As for emigrants voting, maybe in Presidential elections and maybe some senators. You could have an extra constituency for the diaspora where the TDs only have input on issues relevant to the diaspora.

We may just be as well off with a quickpick option, nothing ever seems to change anyway.
I don't think our Senate and democracy should be raised in the same breath.
People who don't live in Ireland and don't pay taxes here should have zero input into how our government is elected.

I don't think our Senate and democracy should be raised in the same breath.
People who don't live in Ireland and don't pay taxes here should have zero input into how our government is elected.

I agree ... "No representation without taxation"

I agree Firefly. But does that mean that everyone living and working here, regardless of how long they've been here, should be allowed to vote here? Tbh im not sure if they already can or not. For example a young individual from, say Poland, that has been living and working here for 1 year - are they allowed to vote?

Who can vote in elections and referenda?
You must be at least 18 years of age on 15 February, the day the Register comes into force. You must also have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year before the Register comes into force.

While you may be entitled to register as a voter due to your residency, there may be a limit on the types of elections in which you can vote. The registration authority will need to know your citizenship because this will determine the elections at which you may vote.

The right to vote is as follows:

• Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum;
  • British citizens may vote at Dáil elections, European elections and local elections;
  • Other European Union (EU) citizens may vote at European and local elections*
  • Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections only.
*If you are an EU citizen, other than an Irish or British citizen, and you were not registered to vote in previous European elections in Ireland, you must also complete a declaration, [broken link removed], to guard against double voting in the election. The local council will register you to vote in your local constituency and send the information in your declaration to your home EU Member State. You can also get the form from your local authority.

You must be registered at one address only and you must live at that address on 1 September before the register comes into force. If you live away from the address at which you are registered, (for example, if you are a student living away from home), you will need to contact the registration authority and give them your new address.

If you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address.

Overseas voters
If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

Leper to answer some of your questions let me give you a simple version of the Polling Process

When I arrive at the polling station on the 26th February there will be a ballet box, ballot papers, stamping instrument, various bits of stationary and a copy of the register. There will be a ballot account paper which will be pre-filled out with the number of ballots assigned to me.

It is my responsibility to check that I have everything I should have and report to the election office if I dont. I must open and verify the ballot box is in working order, verify with my poll clerk that it is empty before sealing it again. The key and lock are fixed to the ballot box with tamper proof seals.

Polling begins, people come in give their ID, polling card etc, They are verified against the register to confirm they are eligible to vote, a ballot paper is issued and they are asked to put it in the correct ballot box when they are ready.

At the end of the day I must complete the ballot account, this shows, the amount I was issued, the number of people who voted (ie that I gave ballot papers to) and a number of other things such as the number of spoiled votes etc.

This is put into an envelope and sealed, and is collected along with the ballot box (also now fully sealed at the end of the poll). This is given to authorised personnel from the election office who call to all polling stations and bring the boxes and ballot account papers (along with all other stationary etc) to the count centre for the morning. These are guarded through the night.

So the among many questions I get are
1 - Why am I not on the register,
2 - What's to stop you from filling in a full book and putting it in the box

Register is pre-determined long before it gets to me, I have no say or influence over it and on the day I am powerless to change it.

Whats to stop me from filling in a whole book - also know as stuffing the ballot box - well because I have to account for every single one. And believe me someone would notice if I started filling them in and popping them in the box on the day. Also - whose name would I put it against? And why would I risk prosecution for such an offence?

Count Day
Each box in turn is opened and the number of ballots inside counted.
The count staff work in pairs.
For the first round you are only opening the ballots and counting them into bundles of 100 (and checked and re-checked and weighed for certainty)
This number is then checked against the ballot account submitted by the Presiding Officer.
Each ballot box/account must balance within a reasonable margin for error.

This is balanced against each centre, so if there are 10 tables in the school or hall you visit that 10 must balance.

The reason for this is a voter may have put their ballot in a box other than the one at my table, they may have slipped it into their pocket and left with it (rare but it happens) or I may have made a mistake (extremely rare this one never happens ;-) )

Then and only then do we begin to sort them into first preference etc.

At this point if there is a discrepancy, a significant number of ballots missing/extra or whatever, a full investigation into the ballot boxes will happen, the register will be examined to see how many names were ticked off, how many bundles are used, and if necessary each ballot paper to determine the serial numbers and their origin.

Tallymen, media, candidates and representatives, and members of the general public are present on the far side of a barrier and the Tallymen will check each one as it is opened to get an indication of early results.

They are not permitted to reach over the barrier or touch in any way a ballot paper, they are not permitted to distract or interrupt the process at this point.

There is some interaction or banter between workers and the folks on the other side of the barrier, but generally not while counting/sorting is happening, its too fast paced and each are concentrating on their own task in hand.

At a later point when sorting begins and in particular when we are sorting second and third preference shares etc they will attempt to interact more, ask for votes to be adjudicated on etc if there is any ambiguity about a persons vote, this is where we would call a supervisor if they are impeding our work.

Re your third question, a candidate can submit a request to the Dept of the Environment for a full breakdown of the count process, there is a fee and would not be available for a number of weeks.
Once we have a total number of ballots in each box they are mixed with others from other centres, (All Fingal randomly mixed together, all Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown mixed, but Fingal and Dun Laoghaire will not be mixed, each district is counted and collated independent of the others) before sorting begins to determine a result.

Technically emigrants are not allowed to vote though this is not what happened on the gay referendum when Irish people abroad came home in their droves to vote.

Well actually, they be entitled to vote, depending on how long the have been away....

So why should we be denied to vote on things that matter or that will impact us on our return?

And why should the people that are actually live in the country have you dictate how they live their lives on the off chance you might return? Those living abroad would have too much of an influence over domestic affairs for this to be a runner.

I would suggest that its possibly cheaper to administer than the current manual system and probably more secure and reliable as there is no human manual intervention. It could be audited im sure in a number of ways to give assurance as to its reliability etc.

So far I'm not aware of any European trails that have proved that.... This is the most recent Swiss decision.

The biggest issue is going to be confidence in the system. And the reality is that most people have had enough experiences of system failure to make them very distrustful of e-voting.

I should change my vote to dublin.
I will be driving home to vote though and i dont mind that really

The only point/question i am making/asking is: why not have electronic voting?

I would suggest that its possibly cheaper to administer than the current manual system and probably more secure and reliable as there is no human manual intervention. It could be audited im sure in a number of ways to give assurance as to its reliability etc.

It would be a lot more convenient for everyone if they could just log in (perhaps with pps number or something) to vote rather than physically going somewhere.

So why is this not a in place?

Im not debating the aspect of immigrants/emmigrants etc voting. I just would like to hear peoples views as to why we cannot vote electronically? We bank and buy stuff and do all sorts of important transactions online. To me voting online seems obvious and simple and would open up the possibility for our people living abroad to vote (if that was deemed aplropriate) .

Why is this not a reality?

I dont accept the arguement that it would be costly to implement. Yes sure it would cost a bob or 2 to put in place but so what?

For a start, let's move away from the "Why not e-voting" - let's ask "why evoting"? Why would we want to risk a huge investment in an IT service for unquantifiable benefits. What actual benefit would arise? If the main benefit is 'allow Jim to keep his vote in the family home and vote from Dublin', well, that's not a great start.

Hi Steven,

Appreciate your thoughts on it and I hear what you are saying! I just think its a cynical mind-set but you may be right in a lot of what you are saying.

1. Re fraud - surely the current manual system is open to fraud in terms of counting votes. They have safeguards in place but when something is automated it is a lot less subject to fraud. It could be audited also in a number of ways to give appropriate assurance. If we can bank etc online then I am sure a system could easily be designed in such a way as to prevent fraud. There may be some residual risk but this could be controlled to some extent through auditing. In most organisations processes are moving from manual to automated for lots of good reasons. So to should the voting system. To argue that fraud would prevail is a weak argument. The system if designed properly should protect against this.

2. You say it would cost a fortune. I don't know and you don't know how much it would cost. again its speculation. of course it would cost a chunk of money but why cant this be explored and costed and tendered for to a private company. If done right it might not cost a fortune. If its determined that it would cost a fortune and would bring no benefits then stay as we are but shouldn't it at least be explored instead of shot down?

3. Don't get your last paragraph. Its nonsense and again simplistic speculation. I would like to think there would be some form of debate as part of deciding whether or not to proceed with e-voting. I would like to hear all of the arguments for and against and then make a decision, whether or not to at least explore the idea, based on the evidence.

With due respect, if you know little or nothing about the existing system, you need to do some research before comment. The cliched comparison to online banking doesn't stand up. For a start, banks lose millions in online banking failures and breaches all over the world. None of these systems are *************************. They tend to keep it fairly quiet, but anyone who works in IT security will tell that there is no such thing as a secure banking system.

However, the main issue is the requirement for anonymity - the secret ballot. This directly conflicts with the requirement for audits and verification of the count. It is 100% essential that the vote cannot be traced back to the voter - this would breach our secret ballot, and enable vote selling and duress voting. This is the main difference with online banking, where is 100% essential that the transaction CAN be traced back to the account holder.

Iv never been involved in the counting process so I don't know exactly how it works. as I mentioned above they probably do have safeguards to prevent fraud. but given that it is a manual process it is inherently more risky than an automated process. Collusion between two individuals could result in fraud. its probably unlikely that it would happen but if it did it would have sever consequences potentially and therefore is a significant risk. Don't ask me how exactly 2 individuals would collude...but suffice to say its counting of votes by humans with oversight in place...that to me equates to a risk of collusion....and don't ask me what the motivation etc would be for collusion...

an online system designed properly would not allow you to cast a vote for anyone other than yourself. im not going to get into how it could be designed but I don't think its rocket science given that we already, as iv mentioned a few times, do a lot of sensitive tasks online. one pps number equals one vote, for example....to prevent me from using other peoples pps numbers to vote however I liked there could be surety questions attached to the log in, for example.

In any case fraud is just one aspect and I still think its arguable that an automated system designed properly would be less prone to fraud than a manual system. There are a bunch of other reasons why I think an online system would be better. Wouldn't it be more transparent also and the results a lot more auditable...and auditable in real time given that its automated? Yes there may be some built in margin for error but the result would be quickly established, fully auditable, very reliable etc.

regarding allowing our folks living abroad to vote - this is another debate different to my OP...

Really Jim - go do a bit of reading up on the topic first. There is no opportunity for 'collusion between two individuals to result in fraud' in the Irish voting system. Online voting would also open up opportunities for vote selling, as it eliminates the protection of the polling booth. Similarly, it opens up opportunities for duress voting by family members or unscrupulous employers. It would be a backward step, for no particular benefit.

So, let's go back to the start and ask - why eVoting?

Really Jim - go do a bit of reading up on the topic first. There is no opportunity for 'collusion between two individuals to result in fraud' in the Irish voting system. Online voting would also open up opportunities for vote selling, as it eliminates the protection of the polling booth. Similarly, it opens up opportunities for duress voting by family members or unscrupulous employers. It would be a backward step, for no particular benefit.
You were making a good point up until there but really; unscrupulous employers? What century are you living in?

I dont mind travelling to vote but i will change to dublin at some point. Not looking at all to debate this aspect of it. Was just looking to debate the merits of e voting which i think has been achieved.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back