volunteering abroad for 3 weeks - children want to come?

Maryb50

Hi! I've always wanted to do some work in Vietnam with children in an orphanage. I have worked a lot with children with disabilities and mental health issues in the past. There's a payment to the agency for accommodation, food, transfer, emergency back-up. I am in two minds about this sort of placement, but it's something I have always wanted to do, and had intended to do for longer once the children were in college. My children are in mid teens and have said they want to come with me. The agency permits this. My children would work along side me. Both my children would have helped out in summer camps with younger children. My daughter also babysits. Both are really musical, and would also be able to help with children through music. Has anyone any experience of this type of volunteer work - would you recommend it for mid teens? It's for summer next year, but was going to book in next couple of weeks.

I've volunteered in Africa and South America. Great experiences. You only live once. Go for it. It's an excellent opportunity for the teens.

Will be a great experience.. am considering the same with my kids when they are older.

Do check out the climate for your planned dates, it can be very hot, very wet, monsoon or hurricane season etc. so you may wish to avoid certain months.

I've done volunteer work abroad and think this would be a great idea. Like new edition suggests though check out the weather for the time you pick

Back