Voluntary Redundancy and eligibility for JB

C

Charlo

My wife is likely to accept an offer of voluntary redundancy which will result in a payment of about €77,000 in January. We intend to use all of this money to pay off some of our large mortgage thereby reducing the monthly repayment.

I understand from reading various threads on this forum that she would not be entitled to JB for up to 9 weeks. However I have also seen some references to the effect that if someone voluntarily gives up their job they would not be entitled to JB at all i.e even after 9 weeks. Can anyone throw some light on this please as I cannot find anything definitive and we are anxious to know what her entitlements would be?

Also is JB taxable?

I should add that although she is taking voluntary redundancy she will be available for work - the size of the payment is too much to turn down especially as she may well be made redundant (on possibly less favourable terms) if enough of her colleagues don't take up the voluntary redundancy.

I believe your wife would be entitled to JB (after the disqualification period -possibly nine weeks)

Giving up a job voluntarily is quite different from accepting a redundancy offer.

As she will still be available for work and actively seeking work she should apply for her JB. To any one on JB I suggest keeping records of all job applications & replies, if any (simple small notebook is sufficient). SW may ask you for it.

JB is taxable less the first 13 euros but she would still have a PAYE tax credit to set against it

How long does Jobseekers Benefit last for - is it 1 year. What happens thereafter?

Back