Vodaphone Shares.. best way to sell a small amount.

Armada

Hi All,

I totally understand we do not discuss individual shares on here, so please delete if this post is breaking moderators rules.
That said, I just have a query in relating to the old chestnut of the Eircom Flotation in 1999.

I now wish to offload my share holding from then. Am I right in assuming this will probably generate a CGT loss (415 VF shares now)?

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to sell most cost effectively and/or how to generate their value and the possible loss today?

Many Thanks.

Hello Armada - as per the link posted by WaterWater above ...

"and you discover the new “base” value for your remaining Vodafone shares following the restructuring of €4.58."

Below is a more detailed article

If you hold 415 vodafone shares, perhaps the registrars have a low cost scheme whereby you can sell? Try emailing them.

Thank you all. I do have paper certs and have just registered with Shareview on the Equiniti website and can see them. I'm waiting on an activation code to proceed. It's actually 458 shares, that I hold and my other half has the same. The original investment was £6k (punts) each in1999, as far as I can remember. There seems to be a minimum fee of £40 stg to sell them plus commission. The current value for 458 is £594 so about £1.30 per share.

Hi Amanda. I am wondering if you got to sell your shares.
I have a similar amount of shares and want to get rid of them. Were you able to do it online through Equiniti?
When I tried, it was only available for those with a registered address in the UK.
Also, if you were able to sell them online through Equiniti, did they send you a cheque or were you able to get the proceeds paid into a bank account.

Hi Amanda. I am wondering if you got to sell your shares.
I have a similar amount of shares and want to get rid of them. Were you able to do it online through Equiniti?
When I tried, it was only available for those with a registered address in the UK.
Also, if you were able to sell them online through Equiniti, did they send you a cheque or were you able to get the proceeds paid into a bank account.
Hi Matt.

I didn’t actually manage to sell them, but I didn’t really pursue it too much further either.
I did email Equiniti and after about 2 weeks got the below reply. During that time, the value of them had dropped by about a third, so I decided to hold onto them for another while.

I was hoping to offset the loss against capital gains which I have to pay, but that doesn’t look too promising now.

Hope this helps you a bit.

As you have confirmed you reside in the Republic of Ireland, I can advise that EQ can offer the following services for trading your shares at the below commissions:
TELEPHONEPOST
1%, minimum £20
Euro settlement to bank
0.5% FX commission
Selling:
1.5%, minimum £50
Euro settlement to bank
0.5% FX commission
Register update fee: £50
Should you require further assistance regarding selling your shares, you may contact the team directly on the following:
0345 603 7037(UK), +44 (0)121 441 7560, (Republic of Ireland & Overseas)

Further to this, for all information regarding our Postal dealing service, please see below:
https://www.shareview.co.uk/4/Info/Portfolio/default/en/home/shareholders/Pages/PostalDealing.aspx

These are required to be completed and returned to the below address:
EQ (Equiniti)
Aspect house
Spencer Road
Lancing
West Sussex
BN99 6DA

Last edited:
Back