Vodafone / Verizon Sale

That's the whole point though - it is not a gain! What is happening here would be better described as "Eircom shareholders to crystallize losses on 50% of their holding".

The Eircom aspect is incidental. People who are Vodafone shareholders, whether thru' the Eircell sell-off, or through buying Vodafone share, are to receive unexpected money. The gain or loss aspect really depends on what a shareholder bought the shares for, or what price they were acquired.

Personnally speaking, I have these Vodafone shares as a result of the Eircom privatisastion 15 years ago. Then when Eircom was refloated ten or twelve years ago, I bought into Eircom again. Lovely dividend back then, 7%. And I sold them at a profit. Gain overall for me.

Some years ago Vodafone wrote to people saying that they were no longer going to post out dividends to people. My son had the initial holding of these shares. I don't believe that he responded to the notification about the dividends. The dividends then stopped coming. Has anyone any idea as to where these ended up?

All he has to do is ring 01 6968421 and give them his bank account details and they will transfer whatever dividends he is due

Some years ago Vodafone wrote to people saying that they were no longer going to post out dividends to people.
I believe they gave the option to buy new shares instead. Are you sure this is not what happened and that they sent certs out instead ?

Ok - so got a letter today from Vodafone addressed to my husband about this Share thing. He is abroad for work so I opened it.

I didn't even know he had Vodafone shares as apparently his Dad bought the original Eircom ones for him and he still has them and he basically forgot about them. He doesn't get any dividends (money) though and he says that he thinks that he gets new shares instead ? Doesn't seem to have any other documentation in relation to this at all.

Anyway he is PAYE and doesn't do a Tax Return as we have no other Income - so what does this mean now ?

I have read the Irish Times article saying he should opt for the Capital Payment Option in order to pay less (no ?) tax.

So if he does this then does he have to file any sort of Tax Return ?

Probably a stupid question, but do you have to put a stamp on the pre-paid envelope, ie is it valid for posting from Ireland? I can't get definitive information online, the Royal Mail website implies that prepaid post for Ireland has to be in a different format, like the usual FREEPOST envelopes you see.

Anyone receive their duplicate forms yet?

Nope. Was going to ring them today but I forgot to bring my reference number with me. I did get my notice of dividends though and was able to register online. Just waiting for the activation code to arrive and I think then I'll be able to make my elections online and not have to wait for the forms.

Probably a stupid question, but do you have to put a stamp on the pre-paid envelope, ie is it valid for posting from Ireland? I can't get definitive information online, the Royal Mail website implies that prepaid post for Ireland has to be in a different format, like the usual FREEPOST envelopes you see.

You don't need a stamp. This is Royal Mail International Business reply Service (hence the by Air mail in top Left). Google "Response Payee Grand Bretagne" for more.

Hi all.

First post :)

I am completing the 'Form of Election' form and was wondering if selecting the option of payment in sterling would be beneficial? What exchange rate would be used if I select Euro, v's my banks standard rate?

Thanks.

Nope. Was going to ring them today but I forgot to bring my reference number with me. I did get my notice of dividends though and was able to register online. Just waiting for the activation code to arrive and I think then I'll be able to make my elections online and not have to wait for the forms.

Phoned today only to be told that no pack had been sent out to me. I knew the first guy I spoke to wasn't able for the fact that I had more than a simple yes/no type question. However, his colleague from today sounded very competent and has said he has now organised for me to receive a new pack so hope springs yet again.

Also, just to note, in case I confused anyone by saying I could make my elections online - apparently the online elections were only relating to the voting aspect (which has now passed). For the decision on how to take your payment and whether to directly sell the Verizon shares, you do need to fill out the forms. Sorry, hope I didn't mix anyone else up with that comment.

Her local postmaster advised my mother to put a stamp on the letter (90c).

Janet we've not received ours either. Hope they haven't gone to old address as one of the letters I got during the week confirming our change of address went to our old address!!!! Must ring again

I'd be interested to know if Revenue will investigate how many of the Vodafone shareholders have been paying tax on their dividends over the last decade or so.

I have a question on the white form to be returned.
We mistakenly signed short name on the form "Paddy" instead of "Patrick", which was the full name detailed on the form, will this make our form and election to sell void? Unfortunately only realised this after we posted it back! :(

I have a question on the white form to be returned.
We mistakenly signed short name on the form "Paddy" instead of "Patrick", which was the full name detailed on the form, will this make our form and election to sell void? Unfortunately only realised this after we posted it back! :(

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

Might be best to give them a call at 01-6968421 and clarify with them, perhaps they might accept an e-mail with clarification.

Can someone tell me where I can download the forms? I'm still waiting for them to come by post. Was told last week they were issued on the 28th Jan but still no sign.

TIA

Can someone tell me where I can download the forms? I'm still waiting for them to come by post. Was told last week they were issued on the 28th Jan but still no sign.

TIA

As the forms are printed specific to the person its hard to imagine that it will be possible to download them and certainly have not heard anyone mention this option to-date.

I'm reading here about people waiting on forms to be posted.
I received the notification from Vodafone last year and I filled out and sent in the form, electing to sell the Verizon shares.
Should I have gotten further correspondence or are some people still waiting for the first letter?

I'm reading here about people waiting on forms to be posted.
I received the notification from Vodafone last year and I filled out and sent in the form, electing to sell the Verizon shares.
Should I have gotten further correspondence or are some people still waiting for the first letter?
Yes, I'm still waiting for the first letter. I had moved several times over the years and hadn't had any correspondence from them for a long time, as they didn't have my address anymore.

Back