Vodafone mobiles with foreign SIM

AFAIK once you buy the phone its yours to do what you like with. A phone shop guy told me "they dont like it and they make it as difficult as they can but it's not illegal" As long as you are using the SIM account legally they can do nothing"

Originally Posted by dublinsense http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=275816#post275816
Its worth mentioning that its NOT illegal to unlock your phone from your network, they lock the phones to try and keep you with them but they dont have any legal standing.

ClubMan;275820:
I'm interested in this comment. Do you have any authoritative information to back this up?

Yeah, its the legal fact. Ring Comreg. Think about it, when you buy a ready to go phone there is no contract signed - you pay for the phone and they would like you to use it on their network.

Its worth pointing out there is a huge diffference between UNLOCKING a phone and UNBLOCKING a phone.

Unlocking means it can be used on any network, Unblocking means a phone has been disabled because it has been reported stole (unblocking is ofcourse illlegal).

Yeah, its the legal fact. Ring Comreg. Think about it, when you buy a ready to go phone there is no contract signed - you pay for the phone and they would like you to use it on their network.
Surely there's a shrink wrapped legal agreement to which you implicitly agree by opening the package and using the handset? Like the way a lot of software is covered by similar shrink wrapped agreements? I doubt that there are no governing terms & conditions to such a purchase whatever about their enforceability (in practice and in law).

Back