Vodafone broadband and landline - is 35 euro p/m the going rate or should I switch?

deanpark

I'm paying 35 per month to Vodafone for broadband and a landline I don't really use. Unlimited landline to landline calls in RoI. 90 mins p/mth to UK numbers.

Is 35 euro the going rate or could I be doing better if I switched?

fyi - I have Freesat and free Irish channels so don't need TV..

Do Vodafone do any deals i.e. reduce the cost if customers call them to say they will move provider?

Hi Dean,
What internet speed do you have with Vodafone.
I'm paying them 50 quid/month for internet+unlimited landline so your offer seems great to me!

I'm on the 1G fibre with landline, TV and broadband for 55 a month. They tried to increase it to 75 at the end of my contract. I toled them I was going elsewhere and they kept me on 55 a month which is decent enough.

Hi Dean,
What internet speed do you have with Vodafone.
I'm paying them 50 quid/month for internet+unlimited landline so your offer seems great to me!
I checked it for the first time ever just now and the speed came up as 45mbps. There's three users in the house.

I am assuming that you are using Vodafone fibre to the cabinet service
45 mbps is reasonable - it will depend on the distance from your home to the cabinet - the fibre optic cable goes to the cabinet and then it is copper cable to the house
I get about the same and am about 400m from the cabinet

The number of users in the house has no bearing on the speed

I'm paying 35 per month to Vodafone for broadband and a landline I don't really use. Unlimited landline to landline calls in RoI. 90 mins p/mth to UK numbers.
I have the same. I have no problems with the service. I mostly use WhatsApp and Signal to connect with people but the landline to contact businesses etc. Landline seldom used but useful.

I have a mobile phone where I top up the minimum spend required when needed.

I have a €31 separate package with Virgin Media with a middle of the road selection of T.V. channels. This includes an extra connection that I never use and is a waste of money. Nil sports channels.

I also use my laptop for about 50% of viewing.

I am not sure that I can get what I have any cheaper?

We're with Vodafone @€30pm but it's just fibre no landline and speed is around 90 mbps
The landline got dropped years ago in favour of our mobiles currently GoMo @€9.99pm
Sky got replaced last year for Netflix, Virgin & RTE Player @17.99pm

We're with Vodafone @€30pm but it's just fibre no landline and speed is around 90 mbps
That doesn't sound right for fibre to the home - packages start at 150 mbs. Or is it the older VDSL service you have (fibre to the cabinet)?

That doesn't sound right for fibre to the home - packages start at 150 mbs. Or is it the older VDSL service you have (fibre to the cabinet)?
Don't be fooled by the plan limits. I'm on the 500 Mbps fibre to the home, and while I have seen the speeds approach that, more often I see sub 100. Test there now using phone in same room as the router gave 71 down and 50 up.

Don't be fooled by the plan limits. I'm on the 500 Mbps fibre to the home, and while I have seen the speeds approach that, more often I see sub 100. Test there now using phone in same room as the router gave 71 down and 50 up.
Tests using wifi don't count for much TBH. Using a good gigabit ethernet card i my laptop I get speeds approaching friends' FTTH plan headline specs (from various providers)

When it comes to this discussion, I'd have one key question, before even considering who will provide my broadband.... How good is the physical infrastructure, where you live?

Eir own the physical copper lines, switch boxes etc. (unless you are with Virgin, SIRO, or Satellite broadband). Some of their infrastructure is reasonably good, and will see you get reliable download speeds of 75Mbps upwards, but a lot of their infrastructure is still dated, and offers very limited resources.

Broadband has become a very important service, so it's worth paying a bit more, to ensure you get good service. For me, that currently starts and ends with Virgin, given I've terrible copper wire cables from Eir where I live, so it doesn't matter if I go with Eir, Vodafone, Sky etc, the service is dreadful.

With the roll out of SIRO, Starlink now becoming available in Ireland, and Virgin always adding new homes to their network - think long and hard, before signing up with Eir, Vodafone, Sky etc. for broadband over a copper wire service!

BTW, I think that Shut, Vodafone, Eir etc are also selling services over SIRO's network, in areas where its actually available, so if you can get that service from one of them, then great!

That's interesting Leo - I'm with Virgin, also on a 500Mbps plan, and while using wireless around the house, I'm averaging well into the 300's, for Dowland speeds (typically 45-50 Upload). My wireless distance is about 30ft-35ft, and there's typically a few devices hanging out of the network, simultaneously.

I assume you've tried changing channels on your modem, checked that you are on 5ghz for relatively close distance WiFi, that there's nothing interferring with the signal, etc ? Once that's done, I'd be getting a service technician out tbh.

BTW, I think that Shut, Vodafone, Eir etc are also selling services over SIRO's network, in areas where its actually available, so if you can get that service from one of them, then great!
eir don't sell services over the Siro network, they are rolling out their own FTTH network in urban areas now. There are some towns where a house may have a choice of openeir ftth, Siro ftth, and cable from Virgin. 500 meters down the road all that may be available is legacy adsl from eir!

Tests using wifi don't count for much TBH. Using a good gigabit ethernet card i my laptop I get speeds approaching friends' FTTH plan headline specs (from various providers)
Wifi tests in close proximity will give a pretty accurate reflection, particularly if other wifi devices are disabled.

I assume you've tried changing channels on your modem, checked that you are on 5ghz for relatively close distance WiFi, that there's nothing interferring with the signal, etc ? Once that's done, I'd be getting a service technician out tbh.
Local infra seems to be in order, but doing any of these speedtests, you're jumping a few hops and the result will reflect the weakest link and is affected by other users in the area.

Back