Visiting a period house before placing a bid- should I bring a builder or architect?

Amygdala

Dear all, we are considering bidding on a period house. The places we have visited need modernisation- plumbing, electrics and upgrading of insulation/heating as a minimum.
In each we would like to extend the back at a single storey level to open up the kitchen/dining area ( standard wrap around extension onto side return of the building) convert the attic and have a master en suit.
Would it be best to visit with A builder or architect to understand the costs and work necessary to bring up to date?
Thanks in advance

Thank you Wm Kee
Are you suggesting bringing both on a site visit at the same time?
I was hoping to hear about strategies- ie bring builder first to establish what needs to be done and get baseline costs followed by architect. Or go straight to architect who can estimate both.
No point on spending on fees unnecessarily.
I envisage standard side return wrap around extension and attic conversion with “individual “ features depending on budget costs.
Thanks

In my experience, architects don't have a clue about costs. They're designers who will advise you on how to make best use of space. But you then need a quantity surveyor to cost it. Technically you might even need an engineer to advise on where structural works might be required.
A builder will tell you how much a standard extension might cost. But bi-fold doors, a roof light, marble top kitchen, and garden landscaping easily adds 150k to your budget.
Unless you know someone you really trust, it's difficult to get advice on the full picture.

It depends on the house and how non-standard the works you want to do are.

We recently bought an old house and my wife took an architect friend to the viewing.

The architect was able to explain common pitfalls with houses of this vintage, what was feasible internally and externally, etc.

Bring your architect. If you haven't got one ask the RIAI for architects in your area that have experience of / specialize in houses of that period. The architect will be able to give you a ballpark on the cost of the upgrade.

Are you talking about a listed building?

Then an architect will tell you if what you want to do will be allowed.

Why not budget for a large amount and make a bid accordingly. If they accept the bid, then bring in the surveyors.

Brendan

Thank you all for your replies.

Brendan: not a listed building, Victorian era red brick family home.

In my experience, all the architect does is follow standard RIAI costs for renovation/extension per square metre and multiply by the size of the house. They won’t have a better estimate without plans and a QS, so this is a transparent way of estimating and that they can point to if the real cost is a lot higher.

If you have a good builder who you trust or have worked with before they might give you a better idea. But not much incentive for a builder to put much effort in when you haven’t even bought the house.

If there are similar renovated or extended houses in the area, find out what these have recently sold for and understand the difference to the un renovated house. Compare this to architects figure as a reality check.

You are in no mans land on this one.

A builder will be too busy to call out.
An architect won't know and will have to draw up plans based on the property and the available land. Then, based on the design, an engineer will have to work on the designs to make sure the thing doesn't fall down.
A QS can price things up once they have seen the completed design.

From what you are saying, you'd probably be looking at €200k+ plus fees (add another €30k onto that).

I’d bring an architect who does renovations or an engineer. If I had to choose an engineer.

Back