Visa debit transaction has completely disappeared

RichInSpirit

I made a Bank of Ireland Visa debit payment over a week ago that was showing up as having not being completed up to now.
I had a look at my bank account earlier and now the transaction is after disappearing completely from the recent transactions. It is not shown in the pending or completed transactions.
I am scratching my head a bit wondering did the service provider get paid in the transaction last week.
Should I try and get in contact with them and find out?
Or wait another few days and see if the transaction reappears?

I have had a transaction that was showing as pending but the provider was actually paid. I have never had a transaction disappear though.

I've
I made a Bank of Ireland Visa debit payment over a week ago that was showing up as having not being completed up to now.
I had a look at my bank account earlier and now the transaction is after disappearing completely from the recent transactions. It is not shown in the pending or completed transactions.
I am scratching my head a bit wondering did the service provider get paid in the transaction last week.
Should I try and get in contact with them and find out?
Or wait another few days and see if the transaction reappears?

I've heard from various people I know that BoI regularly have transactions appear, disappear and reappear from their account. Apparently very common with card transactions that happened at the weekend.

Listening to them sounds like my parents stories of banking on the 80s when you'd have to get to the bank on Friday to have your cash for the weekend and you'd have to keep track of your balance yourself on paper.

Banks run lots of files overnight and if you were to watch you bank account through the night, it would not be uncommon to see transactions come and go as status changes. I find the BoI app is very poor in terms of showing transactions and slow to update, Not a patch on what the Ulster app used to be.

I'd give it a day or 2 and then contact the retailer.

Last edited:
Maybe it's BOI systems. I made a substantial cc payment on Monday and it only appears on the app today although the balance was correct.

Listening to them sounds like my parents stories of banking on the 80s when you'd have to get to the bank on Friday to have your cash for the weekend and you'd have to keep track of your balance yourself on paper.
A bit like having an AIB Credit Cred now where it take up to two days for transactions to appear and where there is no known way of accurately establishing your balance or remaining credit at any point in time. Long live paper records, apparently.

Thanks for all the replies!
The transaction is still missing in action.
It was showing as pending for about 7 days before it disappeared.
As such I think that the money was subtracted from my account.
And I don't think it was added back to my account although I am not 100% certain.
I might ring Bank of Ireland first on Monday or Tuesday to see if they have an explanation, before ringing the vendor.

Thanks for all the replies!
The transaction is still missing in action.
It was showing as pending for about 7 days before it disappeared.
As such I think that the money was subtracted from my account.
And I don't think it was added back to my account although I am not 100% certain.
I might ring Bank of Ireland first on Monday or Tuesday to see if they have an explanation, before ringing the vendor.
When a purchase is made online and approved by your bank, available funds are reduced by the amount and the transaction will show as pending on your account . The merchant/retailer should then batch up all acquired transactions and remit through their provider/bank via Visa to your bank. Your bank will then match inbound clearing record to shadow transaction and hard-post to your account.
The transaction will remain pending for a number of days (typically 3-5 working days) and will drop off if the corresponding clearing record is not received within scheme timeliness. At this stage, the transaction will drop from your account and the funds will be available to use.

It's not unusual for Merchants to delay transmission of acquired transactions leading to the above scenario... the transaction is a must-pay so will be applied to your account whenever it's received. Transactions applying as. pending then dropping off before re-appearing a few days later wouldn't be too unusual so I'd expect it to show up. on your account eventually!

Back