Visa Debit Card

Header

Anyone know if any of the banks here are offering Visa Debit cards. I've noticed of late when Internet shopping, a surcharge is being applied when using a credit card, but no such charge when using a Visa Debit card (or similar). Any info would be appreciated.

The availability would be down to whether your bank re-sells them. E.g. your AIB Visa card is just AIB reselling a Visa product.

Since we have Laser in Ireland It's unlikely that any Irish banks will resell Visa Debit cards, however you may be able to use your Laser card in the same way.
Laser. If your Laser card has a Maestro symbol you can use it at Point of Sale when abroad in many shops. I have never tried to use Maestro for an internet purchase.

Info on Visa Debit (Visa Electron)

Info on Maestro
[broken link removed])

-Rd

Thanks for the replies. I have a Maestro card but have not tried to use it for Internet shopping.

From what I've read elsewhere the 3v voucher incurs charges as well.

do visa electron cards work in the same as a regular visa card? i do know that the electron is a debit card. can they be used in the exact same way as visa though? in other words, over the phone/net. visa is accepted everywhere. is electron too? i have seen a picture of one on the net and it had a 16 digit number on it just like a credit card does.

Alex.

With a Visa Debit card:
1. Make ATM Transactions where the Visa sign is shown.
2. Make point of sale transactions in shops that display the Visa sign.
3. Make purchases over the internet.
When the payment is made the money is debited in the same way as a Laser card. The benefit of the Visa is making purchases over the internet and international travel.
Michael

Back