Vineyards in France.

shootingstar

so i dont have any major questions about it only that my family and I are thinking about selling up in 2-3 years time. We`ve always wanted to retire in France, more so my partner. But im all for it. We would love to buy a vineyard, nothing huge or anything. (chances are i`ll be drinking the profits) :D

We spent yesterday morning browsing such on the internet and there aer some spectacular places for sale in france. Small and large. Some with real character... god i love browsing them....

Again I dont have any Q`s as such, i just want to start a thread on it and view other posters opinions..... (if there are any)

SS

i know... i think Mr SS will have to take a trip out there when the time comes and search for himself...

What we have been browsing are on french auctioneers & estate sites etc.. I could browse them all day.....

Are you thinking about buying a vineyard and running it as a business?

I know nothing about vineyards but would have to question:

1. If YOU know nothing about them then can you run a successful business and
2. Do you speak fluent french and
3. Will you ever achieve an income from a vineyard that you can afford to buy which will sustain you?

Have you ever seen any of those 'No turning back' type programmes on this type of venture- ie selling up, buying abroad and trying to run a successful business?

Personally I'd love to sell up and relocate to France but know it is an unrealistic dream, best kept for daydreams and as an incentive to try to achieve a relatively early retirement.

I agree with Vanilla's points - wine making is a tough business. It is saturated on the supply side and old world wines, particularly French, are loosing market share to new new world wines from Chile and Argentina which are "easier" to drink and are drinking now and not in 7 to 10 years.

These people did it. Irish or half Irish couple re-located to France and were featured in the Independent's Weekender and on the PK show. Got some of the wine. It's ok but not worth the money, IMO. They have a blog and such about the work they put in to the vineyard. Interesting.

www.wildearthwinery.com

Perigold? :confused:

Perigord.... im sorry clubman i forgot your perfect at typing whereas us one handed people do tend to struggle with that every now and again....

in all fairness a waste of a post, dont u think

my thread was on a discussion request for vineyards in france not CHECK MY GRAMMER AND SPELLING

Are you thinking about buying a vineyard and running it as a business?

I know nothing about vineyards but would have to question:

1. If YOU know nothing about them then can you run a successful business and
2. Do you speak fluent french and
3. Will you ever achieve an income from a vineyard that you can afford to buy which will sustain you?

Have you ever seen any of those 'No turning back' type programmes on this type of venture- ie selling up, buying abroad and trying to run a successful business?

Personally I'd love to sell up and relocate to France but know it is an unrealistic dream, best kept for daydreams and as an incentive to try to achieve a relatively early retirement.

Hi Vanilla,

Some good points there, admittedily nothing is signed and sealed we`re at the stages of browsing and investigating. Yes I speak good french, partner cant even saw hello in french. We def want to buy a vineyard thats currently in working order. we`ll be keeping 1 of the houses here at home just in case i wana do a bunk :D

We spent all last night chatting about it and browsing etc... but seriously it would be nice to live abroad. Start fresh. If it doesnt work out we can come home again. i honestly think it could be as simple as that... once we have a home here to come home to... Its a while off yet though.... as i said... were just browsing and enjoying that for the time being... :)

Well the whole browsing bit is always fun. Maybe have a read of a few books on vineyards even on french culture- for a pop view I'd recommend 'Sixty Million Frenchmen can't be Wrong; why we love France but not the French'. I found it to give an insight into the French mindset. Also remember the French love their red tape which can be frustrating to say the least. Could you do the job you are doing presently in France? Or your OH? Have you been to France often? Have you been to the region you have in mind? What about friends and family?
The economy in France is not too strong at the moment and unemployment is rising. Income levels are much lower in general than here. Certainly it is a very very good idea to hang on to a house here because I have some friends who went to France, would now like to return, but cannot afford to. I have a lot of personal connections with the country and as I said have often thought about moving over there but for me its a non runner at present. I would have to requalify, my French would not be good enough to work as a service professional etc. But there are great things about France too, the quality of life, of social relations, medical care, state funded child care, 'job for life' culture ( I know the recent changes but that culture will prevail a while longer) and naturally the food and weather. If you do go for it I wish you the best of luck, and will be hugely envious...

The departments of the Languedoc could be a good place to look. There are vines everywhere that should not be at premium prices compared to some of the key AOCs around the country.

I would recommend visiting in person and having a sniff around as a lot of properties that turn up on the internet tend to be higher end and aimed towards folks with lots of money to spend. On the ground you may come across a property that has vines on the side, as opposed to a full scale vineyard. You could also pick an area you like and rent vines (and a house) for a year or two to see if you like it.

From what I can tell growing vines and making wine is super hard work and as pointed out above, getting a market for your product once you've made it can be very difficult. I think the saying goes that if you want to make a little money in the wine business you'd be best to start with a large amount of money.

Would you be looking to make an income from the wine or do it as a hobby? (would you even want to make the wine yourself...or just sell on the grapes to the local Co-op?) Below a certain vineyard size you'll find it difficult to make money unless you are making fantastic wine...above a certain threshold you'll not be able to handle all the tasks yourself and will need to take on staff at key times etc.

Have daydreamed about doing this myself...

Yes daydreaming is fun... Some of the Vyards advertised are currently working and producing with staff on board already. i think i like tha idea. i can see myself sitting out in the sun with the servants bringing me my own chilled glass of white to taste each day :D... Jaysus i love life dont i??

Seriously though... some great points in previous posts. example renting is a great idea we honestly didnt think of that. Mr SS is thinking about travelling out there this summer for a look. Im popping to Waterstones at lunch to see if there are books on it, I assume there are....

These people did it. Irish or half Irish couple re-located to France and were featured in the Independent's Weekender and on the PK show. Got some of the wine. It's ok but not worth the money, IMO. They have a blog and such about the work they put in to the vineyard. Interesting.

www.wildearthwinery.com

hi slim,

this link doesnt work???

Try this link [broken link removed]

From what I've read, I would agree with those who say not to do it, unless you have lots of money and business ability. Your 'dream' is sadly just that - a dream - with little bearing on the day to day reality of running a wine agri-business.

Nothing to stop you getting a nice place in France though - but forget about having any profits worth talking about.

unless you know a lot about vineyards,and the wine business in gerenal,..i would be very carefull.....noting gobbels up money faster than a business thats unprofitable.

Back