Video Doorbell....Would you recommend ?

nad

Hi my door bell needs replacing so I'm thinking about a video doorbell so looking for feedback or recommendations on what to look for or avoid, also which one would offer good value.

Hi nad, I would recommend this:

You need good Wifi though.

Never had one. I could were it might have its uses.

Has anyone had their really expensive doorbell stolen?
In the USA Ring doorbells are covered by the manufacturer if they are stolen but I don't think Irish users get the same warranty.

My parents, my sister and I have this [broken link removed]. We all have access to each others doorbells if necessary. It needs to be charged every few months but I've never had a problem with it. I think it may be discontinued now.

There are some threads on doorbells in this forum.

Also, Prime Day is coming up on 13th & 14th October so there may be deals to be had then.

Had a ring doorbell last few years, highly recommended, extra security and allows you to answer no matter where you are.

Also records all approaches to your front door and records them in the cloud to be accessed anywhere.

As Paid has mentioned if they are stolen they provide free replacement,(not to mention it records who stole them) and you recharge the battery only once every few months.

I've an ordinary door bell with a battery, but since getting an aluminium porch it rarely works.

I have a ring 2 battery doorbell, mounted on a porch, connected to wifi medium quality connection.

It works well most of the time, though sometimes the phone app is a bit flaky, sometimes the connection is slow so notifications are not instant.

I also got a plug in chime, so the doorbell rings, the chime rings and the app on the phone notifies. Overall a very useful tool and when/if it breaks I will replace with same.

I also have a external ring camera on the side of the house, both take the same battery and I bought a spare battery so I can replace without losing monitoring.

You do have to pay a monthly fee (on a per camera device basis) if you want to keep recording accessible in the cloud (worth it imho) at €30 per device per year.

I would wait to buy when discounted from amazon it happens at various times during the year. As you can see, it's already been discounted a couple of time this year already - https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07W7W776T?context=search

I've a Eufycam 2C over the front door. It pings my phone when there is somebody there. Find it very good. Can also speak to the person at the door remotely. It regularly comes in handy.

No monthly fee - It saves the footage to your base station and you can delete from your phone.

Amazon sales are coming up shortly so hold on for that.

I've a Eufycam 2C over the front door. It pings my phone when there is somebody there. Find it very good. Can also speak to the person at the door remotely. It regularly comes in handy.

No monthly fee - It saves the footage to your base station and you can delete from your phone.

Amazon sales are coming up shortly so hold on for that.

Glad to hear positive things about Eufy's cameras, I've been waiting for their video doorbell (battery) to drop in price, hopefully prime day will have good discounts.

Aside from the security aspects, if you WFH, and get online shopping delivered, a video doorbell is a terrific tool. I can't leave my desk in the middle of a meeting, when the bell rings, but I can quickly chat with the guy at the door for 10 secs to tell him I'm there and he can leave it on the doorstep.

The second very helpful feature is you can mute the internal door chimes, using the app on your phone, which is a godsend when putting young kids to bed!

I was going to get a plain ordinary doorbell.

I don't have many callers but it probably would be useful to get an alert on my phone, if someone calls with a parcel and I am out. I could tell them to leave it in the porch as I will be home soon or ask them to leave it next door as I am away.

If I am at home, I don't need to see the person before I answer the door, so I don't see any advantage in a video doorbell.

My gut feeling is that the more bells and whistles it has, the more likely it is to go wrong. So a straightforward old fashioned bell connected to the mains should cause the least problems.

Or am I missing out on something by not keeping up with the times?

Brendan

Back