VHI tax relief

another related question. Before we got married last year , I was paying my wife's VHI each month directly. Can I claim relief on this? If so, which form is it? Thanks.

The tax relief is deducted at source, so the premium you paid is already reduced by the tax relief.

Just got in the post an amended tax credit certificate for 2009 and it includes a Medical Insurance Relief of €158.60. I still have to claim a few year's back but it's nice to see finally that anybody will automatically get it as a tax credit.

Would all VHI Plan B Group Scheme's be the same amount each year for each company on them or could the amount differ from company to company? I am trying to put in a new claim for 2006-2008 and work out amounts.The renewal date of policy is in August instead of January 1 which also complicates matter's.

The cost of Plan B (or any other health insurance product) would be the same for all group schemes. The yearly cost would vary depending on price increases and the like and there might be a variance on any given date because of renewal dates. But at the end of the day, if Plan B is €900 then at some stage all members will have paid that.

You should be able to get the costs quite easily from VHI, either by telephone or email.

As for the renewal dates and the Revenue's year running at different dates, Revenue should be au fait with this. Just tell them what the gross premium was at each renewal.

Thanks NovaFlare77 -very helpful and I gave them a call -cheque will be on it's way. The girl on phone didnt seem to know why the relief has turned up now on my amended tax certificate. I did nothing on my part -maybe it was my employer.

Back