VHI tax relief

A

Ayrton Senna

I have never claimed tax relief for VHI which I'm paying 10 years. I believe its taken at source now, how long has this been the case and can I claim relief for years gone buy?

This article will give you a bit more info, you can claim back relief for 4 years I think.

New tax relief system for health insurance
[Posted: Mon 26/03/2001]
From next month, tax relief for medical insurance will be automatically available at source. Any policies renewed or taken out after the 6th of April will be billed at the relief-at-source rate.
This means that people with a VHI or BUPA Ireland policy can now expect to hand over 20% less of a premium when they renew or purchase their insurance. Under the new system, the onus is on the insurer to claim back the remainder from the Revenue Commissioners.
It could lead to an increase in the uptake of health insurance, as people who previously did not earn enough to claim back the tax relief will now benefit from the reduced premiums too. VHI and BUPA Ireland will automatically administer the reduced payments for all.
As 2001 is a short tax year (from April to December), the old system of claiming back the tax relief will run alongside the new relief-at-source system for this year only. From 2002, all tax relief on medical insurance will be available at source only.
All enquiries about the relief-at-source scheme should be made to the Tax Relief at Source section of the Revenue Commissioners. They can be contacted at 1890 463626.

My wife is covered by a foreign medical insurance (European Benefits Administration) through the company she works for, and pays a proportion of it herself. In this case, tax relief will not happen at source. How can she claim it ?

I have never claimed tax relief for VHI which I'm paying 10 years. I believe its taken at source now, how long has this been the case and can I claim relief for years gone buy?
You can only backdate claims for outstanding tax relief by 4 years these days.

My wife is covered by a foreign medical insurance (European Benefits Administration) through the company she works for, and pays a proportion of it herself. In this case, tax relief will not happen at source. How can she claim it ?
Is she being charged BIK tax/PRSI on the employer's contributions? See this thread: is Health Insurance Taxable? I guess that she just claims relief on the relevant amounts by writing to Revenue with as much detail as necessary about her situation.

I used to get a Tax Credit every year on my Statement of Determination but this stopped with the new relief system around 2001 or 2002. My company has always paid my VHI plan B and I do not pay anything. Every month I am taxed on 56.72 for VHI in my payslip as Benefit in Kind. I read somewhere that I should still get a tax credit. Is this correct?
I phoned the Tax office last March and explained the situation and was told as long as I didnt pay anything I am not allowed a credit. What is correct?
The main commisioner I think was on Six One tonight and he said I should get a tax credit. Please help!

I read somewhere that I should still get a tax credit. Is this correct?
Yes - covered by the link that I posted above.
I phoned the Tax office last March and explained the situation and was told as long as I didnt pay anything I am not allowed a credit. What is correct?
That is wrong. You are still entitled to a tax credit even if your employer is paying your premiums and you are subject to BIK on them.

Thanks Clubman -pretty annoyed with the tax office -as mentioned before I phoned them back in March and the Woman insisted I was not entitled to anything. I will ring them again and insist they go back the full 4 years which is the maximum I believe.

Revenue make mistakes. You're better off getting independent opinion. 4 years is the max for backdated claims as mentioned above.

I phoned the tax office this morning and I was advised I would have to contact my wages Dept in work and get the vhi amount's (Gross figure is it?) that they paid for me for 2002 - 2005. I asked could I apply online and was told i could only claim from 2005 (what's the point of online application then) if I did apply via the Internet.
I have to write in with the amounts before the end of December 2006 otherwise I cant claim for 2002. Will I have to write in every year to claim or will it be automatic? The guy in the tax office seemed unsure.

I phoned the tax office this morning and I was advised I would have to contact my wages Dept in work and get the vhi amount's (Gross figure is it?) that they paid for me for 2002 - 2005.
You should have received this anyway from the VHI when they confirmed your cover even though you were not paying. Your payslips (VHI BIK figure) should also make it clear how much the gross premium is that your employer is paying on your behalf.
Will I have to write in every year to claim or will it be automatic?
You will probably have to notify Revenue each year since the amount will probably change from year to year.

Thank's for that - yes I have my renewal Notification for Hospital Cover for 1/08/06 to 01/08/2007 but reckon I threw out the previous year's ones.
My wages Dept werent too happy with me looking for the info -do you think I would get it from the VHI or would they tell me it's confidential as such and only the company could request it?

I don't understand why your payroll department would be unhappy with you asking for this information. You could always ask the VHI and they will probably give it to you. At the very least they should be able to tell you the past years' renewal premium for your level of cover which will presumably be the same thing? Do you not retain payslips for past years?

My wages Dept werent too happy with me looking for the info
Happy or not it's part of their job to supply information such as this if requested. They may give you a lecture on not retaining the information yourself, but no excuse for them not providing it.

Yes I keep my payslips which show my BIK amount each month.

So the amount payable in any one tax year should be easily calculated from the VHI amount on the payslip on which BIK tax/PRSI deductions are calculated.

Yes BIK VHI 56.72 * 12 = €680.64 and my Renewal Notification is €680.66 for 01/08/06 - '07.
I phoned VHI in between these postings and they will send me out a letter with the amounts in a few days. They had taken my e-mail address and then offered to post out the amounts - I said it's fine just e-mail me and the girl said it will probably be "bulky" so it will be posted out. What does she think I want my full VHI file??
Anyway again when I first spoke to her she started giving me a history lesson about how in 2001 the tax procedure changed etc. for medical premiums. She didnt seem to believe me when I said I could claim a tax credit even though my company pay's it.
From speaking to people in general they all dont seem to realise that you can get a tax credit and of course I was even told back in march '06 by the tax office that you cant claim a credit. The guy I spoke with today in the tax office seemed abit more clued in.
It's lucky I'm off work for the day.

She didnt seem to believe me when I said I could claim a tax credit even though my company pay's it.
The VHI rep who set up our company scheme was the one who told us that we could claim that credit even though the employer was paying.
From speaking to people in general they all dont seem to realise that you can get a tax credit and of course I was even told back in march '06 by the tax office that you cant claim a credit. The guy I spoke with today in the tax office seemed abit more clued in.
Lots of people don't know about lots of tax credits/allowances - sometimes including Revenue staff!

There's an example on the revenue site where employer is paying your full preminium as a BIK

see [broken link removed]

Example 1

Employer paying the FULL Premium for an employee

The renewal notice to the employer shows the net premium due - €1,600 (Gross Premium is €2,000)

Last edited:
Back