VHI VHI International

Cunamara

Hi
My husband works in Holland and has health insurance - CZ Verdragspolis which we do not pay for. I am also paying VHI International Health Insurance which is due for renewal on February 1st at a cost of €1388. I am questioning whether or not we require the VHI and wondering if in fact he is doubly insured?
Any advice would be gratefully accepted as there is potential for huge saving.

I have also received renewal docs for myself and the children (ages 13, 12 and 9)- due February 1st. I am on One Plan 500 and the three children are on One+ Plan. Premium cost is €1086.11. Having looked at the huge array of plans I ended up overwhelmed. So hopefully somebody who is a bit more familiar with this can advise me as to whether there is a better option for us? I should add that we are all healthy, thankfully, and have not needed to make a claim in the past 9 years.

Hi Cunamara,

Welcome to AAM. I have no experience of VHI International Health Insurance whatsoever so I'm sorry I can't help you with any advice.
But I'm sure there are others here who can offer helpful advice in that regard.

Regards, Snowyb

Snowyb,
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and reply.
I appreciate it.
Cúnamara

Not familiar with VHI International either I'm afraid ... What I'd be concerned about is whether it 'counts' in terms of having Irish health insurance so you avoid the loading which applies to those who take out health insurance here over the age of 35 and I think is 2% per year? Or waiting periods?
If you are having conversations with VHI or an alternative provider keep that in mind.

You'd probably want to avoid a situation where husband comes home at 50 and is hit with 15 years loading and has to serve waiting periods, so might be worth keeping up an entry level Irish plan if VHI international does not tick that box.

Some more info here.

Assuming that info is correct, if husband is officially non-resident for tax, then the loading would not apply but waiting periods would.

Odyssey06
Thank you very much for your reply.
I hadn't even considered loading and waiting periods. Husband has previously had health insurance in Ireland for a number of years prior to age 34, and reading the link you provided I think he may be alright but it's definitely something I will investigate.
He is non-resident for tax purposes which opens up a whole load of other questions!!
I might pay a visit to some of the other forums.
Thank you very much for the welcome. What a great service you all provide here.
Regards
Cúnamara

Back