Health Insurance VHI HealthPlus Excess vs. Laya Simplicity

peking97

Married couple, mid to late sixties, no significant on-going health issues, with VHI since the seventies and reluctant to leave but the price difference here is very significant. (€3650 as against €2380).
Is there some glaring difference in benefits that I'm not seeing?
Coming towards the end of my 14-day change-of-mind period so would appreciate thoughts on these two plans.

peking97,

There are a couple of extra benefits on Simplicity ie full cover for a private room in a private hospital with 100 excess,
also slightly lower excess 50 vs 75 per day case.

HealthPlus Excess plan has cover for a list of special procedures in hi-tech hospitals. However, there are no details of what procedures/surgeries
are on this list as VHI don't disclose this information. The health insurance brokers would have access to this type of information, not made
available to VHI customers.
These procedures are also available on Simplicity plan, with a shortfall of 175 per night, but from my experience in both hi-tech hospitals
this shortfall per night is not passed on to the patient.

If you are still reluctant to switch companies, there is another similar plan to HealthPlus Excess worth considering.
VHI Health Access; price 1684pa. Both hospital cover and outpatient day to day cover is similar to your current plan. The only difference is
the excess of 125 compared to 75 for admissions or day case in private and hi-tech hospitals.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb for the info, a mine of information as usual!
I'll look at those plans before deciding.
The situation is not helped by the fact that there is a myriad of plans to choose from! Thanks again.

I am on Simplicity. Last year I contacted Mater Private accounts to clarify the €175 daily excess on procedures other than cardiac and specials. They said that they do no apply it to cancer patients but do apply it to other patients. They also said that they do not have a maximum cut off period and in fact regularly have patients contacting them re their bill from their hospital bed.

Back