VHI VHI - Disputing Maternity Claim

GQ_Cork

Hi, I was admitted to hospital for observation the night before my baby was born, I was 35 weeks pregnant. My waters broke un -expectantly early the next morning and baby arrived at lunchtime. I was in hospital for 4 nights in total. VHI are only covering the 3 nights. I would have counted the first night as a "hospital" stay and separate to maternity cover. My consultant has written to them 3 times however they still wont accept the letter. Any advice please.

Firstly, congratulations - hope that you are all doing well.

VHI cannot ignore you. They cannot just decline to meet something that may be a valid claim because they say so. They must state to you the basis of their decision so that you can understand it and be able to accept it or reject it.

I would write or e-mail them pointing out your arguments as you set out above. Indicate that you are not satisfied with their handling of the claim by reference to the consultant's medical view of the issue. Insist on a reply and demand a final letter so that you can refer the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman's Bureau in the event that you are not satisfied with their response.

FSOB link [broken link removed]

Back