Health Insurance Vhi coronary bypass

El-Tel

Hi, I’m new to the forum so be gentle with me. I’ve been advised to have a coronary bypass and am being directed towards Mater Private. From looking at my VHI plan it seems to say I am not covered at all by my plan, which is One Plan 500. Will my plan not cover any of the cost? I couldn’t afford a large bill . Any advice out there?

I sympathise. Its stressful enough to need surgery without having to worry about the cost.

IF you are already with a consultant do the following....

Tell the consultants secretary or admin person that you dont know if you are covered for the Mater Private and you will only have surgery in a hospital if you are covered.
Get them to contact the admin department of the Mater Private and ask if you are covered ( or do this yourself). You will need to procedure code. The hospital are used to this type of enquiry.

If you are not covered, ask the consultant what other private hospitals they work in

If you are not already with a consultant, ask your GP for a referal to one who works in a hospital where you are covered.

I think that plan covers some heart surgery in the Beacon, not sure what exact procedures though.

If you get the procedure code from your Consultant's office you could also contact VHI directly to ask if you are covered and in which hospitals. In fact I would do this in any event.

VHI always recommend that you contact them with procedure code before any arrangements are made with consultant or hospital. You could land yourself up in a costly mess if you don't go down this road first.

Came across this article which quotes the following but it does date back to 2014 so an awful could have changed since then:

VHI Healthcare One Plan 500 – adult €689.75 child €231.50 student €317.00 Family 2 adults & 2 childen = €1,842.50
  • It covers a semi-private room in a public hospital and private hospitals
  • For all private hospital admissions, there is a €500 excess for the first 2 in-patient stays.
  • It has restricted cover (60%) for certain orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures in private hospitals (22 procedures – check the list with VHI)
  • There is cover for day cases in private hospitals with a €150 excess but does not cover any of the hi-tech hospitals for day case procedures (Blackrock, Beacon, Mater Private).
  • Cardiac cover is provided in the Beacon Hospital only for listed major cardiac procedures - subject to €500 excess
  • There is very limited out-patient and maternity benefits on this plan.

The premium does appear to be quite low compared to other plans but as the article says they are high excess plan options.

VHI always recommend that you contact them with procedure code before any arrangements are made with consultant or hospital. You could land yourself up in a costly mess if you don't go down this road first.

Came across this article which quotes the following but it does date back to 2014 so an awful could have changed since then:

VHI Healthcare One Plan 500 – adult €689.75 child €231.50 student €317.00 Family 2 adults & 2 childen = €1,842.50
  • It covers a semi-private room in a public hospital and private hospitals
  • For all private hospital admissions, there is a €500 excess for the first 2 in-patient stays.
  • It has restricted cover (60%) for certain orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures in private hospitals (22 procedures – check the list with VHI)
  • There is cover for day cases in private hospitals with a €150 excess but does not cover any of the hi-tech hospitals for day case procedures (Blackrock, Beacon, Mater Private).
  • Cardiac cover is provided in the Beacon Hospital only for listed major cardiac procedures - subject to €500 excess
  • There is very limited out-patient and maternity benefits on this plan.

The premium does appear to be quite low compared to other plans but as the article says they are high excess plan options.
Thanks for that

Back